Time to split the group?

Page 2 of 3
Steve Turner wrote:

Yes, I was deeply involved in those wars.(Dr. Debug mostly) If you were in any way, shape or form involved with coding OS/2, my hats off to you. Windows still hasn't caught up to what OS/2 was way back when....
--
Jack
OS/2: Windows that worked!
On 04/01/2010 09:47 AM, Jack Stein wrote:

Yes, there's a wee bit of my code in the operating system here and there, but I worked in the OS/2 Developer's Toolkit area and most of my contributions were in the development tools rather than the O/S, and most of those were "Internal Use Only". I wrote the replacement for Microsoft's "MASM" macro assembler (it was called "ALP"), and that was released in the Toolkit but it never got much of a foothold. I also have code in the old make utility (NMAKE), linker (LINK386 and ILINK), and resource compiler (RC). All fun stuff. :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

One of the nice things about Agent is that you have an Ignore key. The "I" key is also actuated by the, you guessed it, the BIRD FINGER, for extra enjoyment by the filterer.
So smile, and _flip off_ those OT posters, boys and girls!
-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing

Norm does *not* use too many brads...
jc

I would nver get involved in such a discussion.
Although I hear........................., since theyshut down The New Yankee Workshop. they had to lay off two guys from the brad factory.
<groan>

And when he does, it is only until the glue dries.
wrote:>> Norm does *not* use too many brads...

But why didn't they show him pulling them after the glue dried then?
Mark

The same reason they didn't show him 'buying' a tool ...
LDosser wrote:

But, he uses too much glue....
--
Jack
"I'm not as dumb as you look."

Only until he finishes the work. (Then you can see where he smeared wet glue all over the place with the wet rag.) I prefer to pre-finish pieces before glueup to prevent that from happening, let alone showing. Camera flashes make it 10x more noticeable, too.
-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing
scrawled the following:

Or you could use the titebond flourescent glue and a black light.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Personally, I like to make sure my joinery is bad enough that after glue-up. I have to sand past the glue, past the defects, and deep into the new patina I'm creating.... Usually works good enough:-)
--
Jack
Got Change: General Motors =====> Government Motors!
Joe wrote:

but galooh on the other hand...

Are you talkin' to me? Cuz if you google my participation here, I post overwhelmingly *ON TOPIC* - certainly 90% (and likely better) of my 630 some odd posts are about woodworking questions or answers.
Now, I will admit to being politically aware, active, and to being an OT poster - but I always mark as OT, and if that ain't enough for you, screw ya.
And if you don't like political posts, or off-color jokes, or unvarnished rhetoric, and can't resist opening that message marked OT that clearly is gonna have you spewing spittle as you type, get yer ass somewhere else.
Unless, of course, you like it when your blood pressure goes atmospheric and your undies are all bunched up - which I can tell some around here do!
D'ohBoy
Oprah: Thanks for joining us today audience. Our guest today is Doughboy. Hello, Doughboy. How are you?
DB: Well, not good Oprah. I like to participate on a certain internet venue and recently I felt like I was disrespected by a mean man. He reminded me of my first husband, he was awful.
Oprah: What did he do, Doughy? Did he single you out for some reason?
DB: No...
Oprah: Did he make reference to something you said to make you think he was talking about you specifically?
DB: Well, no... but I am pretty sure he was!
Oprah: You don't think you are being a bit touchy here, do you?
DB: Well, it is about that time, but still, I think he was actually thinking of me when he wrote a mean post. I didn't like it one bit. (Starts to tear up... Oprah mugs for the camera and hand DB a tissue)
Oprah: I need to understand this. He didn't call you out by name, didn't reference anything in particular that you said, but you think he may be talking to you? Hmmmm.... why?
DB: I feel like the victim here. Oprah,

Oprah: Hmmmm.... OK.....
DB: So I finished reading his whole post (it took three tries because of the pain it caused me) and I told that meanie

Oprah: Good! Good! You shouldn't be the victim here, even if you were the one that made yourself one! That's a great response, too. Very intelligent. We need more like you to stand up and say "we aren't going to be victims anymore, even if we weren't in the first place!"
Sometimes you have to take an issue, make it your own and personalize it order to feel like a victim. It is more difficult when dealing with global statements, but it can be done.
This is a VERY important step if you are trying to feel bad about something that was said to a large audience that didn't mention you by name or anything you said.
Since you made it your issue you can respond personally to an individual (even if it wasn't aimed specifically at you) to an issue in a self righteous manner without feeling like an idiot.
You know Dough, sometimes I want to tell people to go fuck themselves, but I might lose a sponsor.
DB: I wish I was a strong and smart as you Oprah.
Oprah: Not many are, honey. I just have a quick question to clarify this for me. Are you sure you were the intended target of his gibes?
DB: I can't really be sure since he never referenced me personally. Nor anything I have ever said. But a lot of what he said fit me so well, who else could he be talking about? It has to be me! That's why I said that mean thing back, I wasn't sure it was, not positively anyway, but I had to do something in case it was.
Oprah: Well Doughy, if the shoe fits, I dunno... I guess you might think ummm... errrr....
DB: (Now in tears) You don't understand Oprah. All I want to do is to say what I want about whatever I want when I want. I know that internet venue has a theme, but I don't think I should have to pay attention to it.... I don't care what anyone else thinks.
If they get upset by what I say, then they should do a bad thing to themselves too!
Oprah: And if someone posts something YOU don't like, even if it wasn't pointed specifically at you?
DB: I can't stand it!! Well, as I told you, I told this mister to go fuck himself. Not really I guess, I get shy on the internet and didn't want to post the "F" bomb. But "screw yourself" really is the weasel way of saying "fuck yourself". It just sounds nicer. You know it kinda makes me sound like I have class.
Oprah: I don't know Dough. It sounds like you should go home, light some candles, have a nice, long a bubble bath. It always helps me. That, and a little Barry Manilow.
DB: Thanks, Oprah. You are probably right.
Oprah smiles. Another one saved.
Oprah: We'll be right back after a word from Vagisil for men. If you have sand in your mangina, there's nothing finer than Vagisil.
Fade to commercial....

<snip of praiseworthy brilliance>

This one needs to go into the FAQ - thanks for the guffaws!

*applause!!!*
On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 00:16:00 -0700 (PDT), the infamous
following:

My mangina is smiling.
-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin
On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 00:16:00 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I'll do my best to never provoke you. Thanks.
207.246.207.167:

Some time ago, I looked in to whether or not some groups split so the "familiar spirits" could talk about politics. The only group I found was rec.games.chess.politics, which was probably more or less influenced by Bobby Fischer. (I haven't actually read the group, quickly scanned the charter years ago, so this is just a guess.)
Puckdropper