Time to split the group?

Page 1 of 3
Oops - too late.
it already has. The other half hangs out with Vito.

Naw.
If the political geniuses and experts that spew their sewage here went to a real unmoderated political arenas on the web, they would only be a voice in the crowd trying to be heard above the din.
Here, they can sound off their indignance and be heard as their politics aren't the focus of this venue. This is like going to a cooking school and watching people cook. The guy that gets the most attention is the guy that burns himself or sets his food in fire, not the guys that are doing what they are supposed to do.
Being a somebody is difficult these days.
Besides, if you notice, the group is already split.
it is the same guys over and over and over and over and over and over
and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over
that start, participate and grind the political threads on and on.
Those same people only seem to post when they see a political thread, and rarely offer little advice or experience in woodworking.
How I yearn for the old days (they seem so innocent now...) of the tearful squabbling over Norm using to many brads, screaming over anything to do with Home Depot, and the fan boys defending their favorite tool brand against nay sayers.
Robert

FWIW, I'm on your side. It's easy enough to skip over the threads, but somedays there aren't any woodworking posts because almost everyone seemed to have used up their energy arguing about politics instead!
It's also a shame to see yourself on the other side of the fence in a political thread with someone you otherwise thought of as a decent human being! : ) Because of this phenomenon, political threads may break down rather than strengthen (our) community.
Where I work, we try to view the world without political boundaries. The system only seems to break down when a participant entity commits some "act of hate" which is considered by the rest of the whole as "unconscionable", sort of like a mini- "United Nations".
Bill
On 3/27/2010 2:20 PM, Bill wrote:

Filters are great ... check'em when you don't feel like it, un-check'em when you do.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I'm reading the posts in IE 8. How do I filter?
On 3/28/2010 9:08 AM, burtwitlin wrote:

First and foremost, grab a real email/newsgroup reader, like Thunderbird, Eudora, Agent etc ... it will also make your quotes more accurate. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Guess that leaves me out. I prefer reading in IE 8. I wish they would use the OT convention though.
<snippage>

These are unprecedented times, the dangers are real... the concerns legitimate. Granted this wasn't intended to be a forum for such, but has evolved into an eclectic group of strong minded people, none of whom shirk the rights of the 1st Amendment. It is hoped that they all will at least conform to the "OT" preface to their subject line. If so those uninterested can easily avoid those posts. I agree that this is primarily a woodworking group (and wouldn't have it any other way) in truth however, I don't miss the posts about Norms brads! Tom

The wreck is a community. In any community there will be conflict.
I've been hanging around here for a few years, and have pissed off some people, some people have pissed me off... That's what filters are for. I go back and revisit mine from time to time. Turn some off, create some new ones, you don't have to talk to, or listen to, everybody.
Things erupt from time to time, but over all, in my experience, the majority of the conversation in this community is about wooddorking.
People come and go, too. I miss JOAT, and Keeter, and Phully, and many others who have stepped away. But new people keep coming in, which is sometimes amazing to me in terms of the general trend of usenet.
My $0.02...
news:280320101333127756% <snip>

Ah, darn... they don't even drop by to say Hi? sad days.

Phully popped in a couple of months back, said "Oy!" and vanished again.
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:33:12 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Nice comment. Certainly worth more that $0.02.

Thanks, Up... Makes me happy I disabled your filter!
;-)
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Yes.
Someone bitched about all the off topic stuff before, stating that those participating in off topic, political crap didn't participate in the woodworking threads. I went through about 10 days of a particularly average, angry,off topic, fight fest and listed all the participants. For the most part, it looked like a who's who of this group.
I've been participating in "newsgroups" since the FidoNet (FightoNet) days, and it was no different then. Fighto net was moderated and on topic posts were generally requested, but seldom maintained. Flame fests broke out on most high traffic groups, and that hasn't changed a bit in all these years, and I suspect it never will change.
Giant, off topic threads start because people enjoy them. Those that don't interest you can easily be skipped, manually, or with a filter. Talking about it will not change anything, other than adding to the off topic posts....
--
Jack
Got Change: And the Change SUCKS!
On 3/31/2010 8:04 AM, Jack Stein wrote:

I ran a Fido node and echo mail relay back in the 80's & 90's.
The political bickering on the wRec is child's play compared to the OS/2 versus Windows war's in the early to mid nineties on FidoNet ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 03/31/2010 08:14 AM, Swingman wrote:

I messed around a wee bit with Fido in the eighties, but I didn't let it suck me in too far.

Ah yes, the operating system wars. I lived all through the first part as an outsider, then came into the IBM OS/2 programming center in 1993 right after the divorce. I can still see all the OS/2 source code from where I'm sitting. <sigh>
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On 3/31/2010 5:23 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

I'll never forget feeling the first time I got a computer to connect to another computer across town ... on the same level of the very first time I played a guitar chord against a friends banjo strum ...both religious experiences that made your hands shake.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Surely the gittar chord was far more satisfying....

"Dueling Banjos"? ;-)