Time for some Bessys

Page 1 of 2
I an gonna take the plunge and buy some Bessy K bodies in the near future. I was thinking of picking up initially two 24 inchers and two 31 inchers (i think they make a 31). My question is, since I am only gonna buy a few to start, which size do you all find yourself reaching for the most? Should I just say forget the smaller ones and go with 31s only or bigger?
Frank
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Hi Frank, To start I would get 2 of each size. (I did). I use the 24s more than the 31s but when I buy more I will probably get 2 more of each size. Cheers, JG
Frank Ketchum wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 06:46:28 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

I have an article on my webpage on buying K-Bodies (I think it's hidden in the Tool Picx area which is under Shop Tour).
The vast majority of my K-Bodies are 24s. I don't have any 31s. I've never felt the need for 31s. I made a mistake starting out with 40s, thinking that "I can always clamp smaller but I can't clamp bigger." Big mistake. Clamping small things with too-big clamps will have you on the phone ordering newer, shorter clamps very quickly.
The 40s have uses, however, and I've added several to the collection once I acquired some more 24s. I also have a couple of 50s, which are handy. It's all a matter of time and money. Over time you will have more and more clamps and less and less money.
I recommend starting out with 4 24s, if you're going to buy four. And you are already on the right track buying even numbers. Clamps must always be bought in pairs. It upsets the balance of the universe to have an uneven number of clamps.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Thanks Rod. I will probably take your advice and start with 4-24 inchers.
Hey, you need to update your portion of the website that deals with telemarketers. If you or anyone hasn't signed up for the national do not call registry, do it! It's easy to do and it works. www.donotcall.gov
Frank
Were it not for the reality of 32-34" height cabinets, which, less the toekicks, still come to more than 24 high in the door, I'd agree.
I ended up buying the 31's _after_ the 24's.

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:55:14 -0500, "George"

Point well taken. My usage thus far has always been for smaller work, which naturally biases my needs and experience in the 24" area.

When I next get in the clamp buying mode, I'll give the 31s some thought. Since I already have 34 K-Bodies, that won't be soon, sad to say.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
I don't find the 30 something inchers to be any more cumbersome than the 24 inchers. As Ed said, 30 somethings can do whatever a 24 incher can do and a bit more. However, I'll offer some advice and suggest you look into the Gross Stabils. As good as, if not better than the Besseys and a lot cheaper if you purchase here:
http://www.allprotools.com/store/page120.html
The 4+price is a substatial savings over any Bessey prices I've found.
TomL
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 06:46:28 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

snip

That price looks good if you're looking for k-body quality - but what makes the Gross Stabils possibly better than the Bessey's? Anyone else have any opinions? I own neither, but I'm curious.
Thanks. JP
.

Speaking from my own personal experience of using them both rather extensively.....
I've used bith the Gross Stabiles and the Bessey K-Bodies and I'll reach for the Besseys every time. The Gross units can be difficult to get open or closed. And yes, I know that the K-bodies sometimes can be a bit ornery, but nowhere near like the Gross units!
Terry Sumner

I recently bought a pair of the lighter UniKlamps. For smaller sizes and lighter work, they seem to be the best of both worlds. Good quality at a better price. They won't replace the standard size for big work, but these are very handy in the right place. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

I prefer the larger handles and the greater clamping surface of the Gross Stabils. You won't go wrong in choosing either the Besseys or the Gross Stabils.
TomL
I've been watching the evolution of the bar clamp with considerable interest.
most of the old ones (the ones that predate me ; ^ > ) are very heavy, solid things. a lot of them are cast iron. for the right application they seem like they would be a dream to use, but for most of my work they're too heavy. I would like to have some, though.
the ones I like the best so far are the jorgensen 37xx and 39xx series. they are light enough that I don't usually have to worry too much about the weight of the clamp as a factor in an assembly. they are relatively cheap and easy to operate
then along came the quick grip and their clones. I played with them a bit and hated them. big clunky squeeze mechanism that maxes out at about half the pressure of the jorgies. they have been heavily advertised and have made considerable inroads in the market despite being basically POS. they have that gee whiz gadgety feel that just screams JUNK
now we are seeing some real engineering coming from across the pond. although these clamps seem to me to be overkill and a bit oversize for the smaller lenghts, they look like they will be a good thing in sizes over 3 ft. not surprisingly, they're pretty expensive in those sizes.
    Bridger

they don't give nearly the same pressure, but for speed, you can't beat them. I have 2 "micro" (I use these for adjusting bicycle brake calipers, not wooddorking) two 12", two 18", and two 30".
I like them most for clamping stock to a workbench, drill press, table saw sliding table, etc. The 12 inchers have the smaller clamping mechanism which make them very easy to handle. For glue-up they're ok, though I can "pair" them into a double length clamp. Since they are so quick to engage, I can take the 18" and the 30" and get them to clamp 48". When gluing, I rely on other clamps in addition to the quick grips.
Just my 0.02

I can too. I've used both and the quick grips are no faster than the jorgies.

I dislike "QuikGrips" of any brand, but particularly Craftsman. The Craftsman were given to me as a gift and I've been looking for an enemy to present them to ever since.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04

I'll be careful not to piss you off...     Bridger
Swingman wrote:

Send them to me! I have a bunch of those things, use them often, like them very much, and don't care what anyone else thinks.
I'll second that!!!!
If anyone wants to get rid of those nasty quick grip clamps you find cluttering your shop, send them to me - I'll even pay for shipping!!! ; )
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:01:10 -0500, Silvan

I'm not sure which jorgies you're referring to, but I've used a friends set, and having to turn a screw is not as fast as squeezing a grip. Also, they're very clumsy to adjust with one hand.
BTW - I misspoke, the ones I use the most are 6". I use these to clamp work to a bench for sanding, drilling etc....
Yitah