Time for some Bessys

I prefer the larger handles and the greater clamping surface of the Gross Stabils. You won't go wrong in choosing either the Besseys or the Gross Stabils.

TomL

Reply to
TomL

I've been watching the evolution of the bar clamp with considerable interest.

most of the old ones (the ones that predate me ; ^ > ) are very heavy, solid things. a lot of them are cast iron. for the right application they seem like they would be a dream to use, but for most of my work they're too heavy. I would like to have some, though.

the ones I like the best so far are the jorgensen 37xx and 39xx series. they are light enough that I don't usually have to worry too much about the weight of the clamp as a factor in an assembly. they are relatively cheap and easy to operate

then along came the quick grip and their clones. I played with them a bit and hated them. big clunky squeeze mechanism that maxes out at about half the pressure of the jorgies. they have been heavily advertised and have made considerable inroads in the market despite being basically POS. they have that gee whiz gadgety feel that just screams JUNK

now we are seeing some real engineering coming from across the pond. although these clamps seem to me to be overkill and a bit oversize for the smaller lenghts, they look like they will be a good thing in sizes over 3 ft. not surprisingly, they're pretty expensive in those sizes.

Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

I don't have either (damn!), but there was a recent article comparing them along with the Jorgensen's in a recent mag. They recommended the Gross Stabils over the Bessey's and Jorgensen's FWIW.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Everyone has their opinion, right? Evidently John found the items he mentioned to be advantages, not differences. You find them to be differences, not advantages. Sounds like you're both right. A recent mag article picked the Gross Stabil's over the Bessy's too FWIW.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Sorry, but I like the quick grips. They're expensive and I agree that they don't give nearly the same pressure, but for speed, you can't beat them. I have 2 "micro" (I use these for adjusting bicycle brake calipers, not wooddorking) two 12", two 18", and two 30".

I like them most for clamping stock to a workbench, drill press, table saw sliding table, etc. The 12 inchers have the smaller clamping mechanism which make them very easy to handle. For glue-up they're ok, though I can "pair" them into a double length clamp. Since they are so quick to engage, I can take the 18" and the 30" and get them to clamp 48". When gluing, I rely on other clamps in addition to the quick grips.

Just my 0.02

Reply to
Yitah

They're no good for squeezing glue, agreed. But they're really handy for just holding something down on my sanding table / workbench. Usually the clamp of first choice then because of their one-hand operation Occasionally the spreader feature is a godsend.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I can too. I've used both and the quick grips are no faster than the jorgies.

Reply to
Bridger

I dislike "QuikGrips" of any brand, but particularly Craftsman. The Craftsman were given to me as a gift and I've been looking for an enemy to present them to ever since.

Reply to
Swingman

The only person I've seen turning clamp preferences into a "war" is you. Why is that?

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Mike

I'll be careful not to piss you off... Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

I'm not sure which jorgies you're referring to, but I've used a friends set, and having to turn a screw is not as fast as squeezing a grip. Also, they're very clumsy to adjust with one hand.

BTW - I misspoke, the ones I use the most are 6". I use these to clamp work to a bench for sanding, drilling etc....

Yitah

Reply to
Yitah

Send them to me! I have a bunch of those things, use them often, like them very much, and don't care what anyone else thinks.

Reply to
Silvan

there's a grip where you can operate the sliding head either direction with your thumb while holding the bar. works fine for me. Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

I'll second that!!!!

If anyone wants to get rid of those nasty quick grip clamps you find cluttering your shop, send them to me - I'll even pay for shipping!!! ; )

Reply to
Yitah

=========== ============== ======== I might as well jump in here also.... I have been using Bessy's for a long tme and actually went out and bought a few of the GS's last year...and gave them a darn good workout ...

I still reach for the Bessy's most of the time.. BUT I could, and would, be happy to be "stuck" with either.

The Bessy's just work a little better for me...maybe it is because I think I have mastered the method needed to close them...prior appling pressure.. I still have to fight\ with the GS's ...but I figure that will go away shortly as I get used to them...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

============== ============

I read that article (more then once btw) and as I have already stated in an earlier post in this threat I own and use both the Bessy and the Gross Stabils ..

Personally I see absolutely no "GOOD" reason they picked the GS's over the Bessy's except that you can order individual parts for the GS's and that they are a buck or two cheaper.....

I do agree with the article that any of them are DAMN good clamps... If I need a few more I will most likely buy more Bessy's unless the price difference is a factor.

(I'm retired, and my wallet is always thin the last week of the month when compared to the first week..)

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

Bob

Would not turn down any FREE Besseys if they came my way, and I AM NOT getting rid of my Bessey's, but I AM buying Gross Stabil when I buy new parallel clamps - and it IS personal preference and not any earth shatteriing major BETTER or WORSE of the two brands.

John

Reply to
John Crea