Timber merchants Manchester UK

I'm looking for a source of beech (or something similar, to make a workbench from) in the Manchester area (I suppose I'd travel as far as Chester, Stoke, Preston, Leeds ...). Googling has turned up nothing; any suggestions?
--

Henry Law Manchester, England

Well, If manchester is nearChicago, I can point you in the right direction :-)
Wait, I thought Europe was the home range for Beech?

Neil Larson wrote:

Correct. So your point is what, exactly?
--

Henry Law Manchester, England

Henry, From what I can remember lumber prices in the UK were sky high perehaps it might be worth looking for barn teardowns and the like .One other source might be the local farmer they used to keep a copse or two for wood needed around the farm for repairs etc.
from what I hear the south downs were heavily forrested with english oak and beech most of it was cut in WW1 and never replanted must have been a sight to see mjh

Henry Law wrote:

ask scrit on ukworkshop.co.uk he knows all the t/merchants in manchester.
Me wrote:

V useful site ... thank you for the pointer.
--

Henry Law Manchester, England

Sat, May 26, 2007, 6:47pm (EDT+5) snipped-for-privacy@lawshouse.org (HenryLaw) doth query: I'm looking for a source of beech (or something similar, to make a workbench from) in the Manchester area (I suppose I'd travel as far as Chester, Stoke, Preston, Leeds ...). Googling has turned up nothing; any suggestions?
Interesting. Found this site on google, it may be of help. http://www.ukuleleorchestra.com/main/ShowPage.aspx?PageID=2&SessionKey =
Me, I'd probably collect a batch of palles, and use them; could well be beech. First off, start with your local telephone directory. Anyone you call, if they can't help, you ask if they know someone who can, repeat as necessary. I'm reasonably sure you should have some sort of D.I.Y. store somewhere nearby - you start there, then ask where you could buy whatever wood you want Ask anyone you come across where you can get the wood; surprising what you can find that way, sometimes even for free. it's all basics.
Well, I ran into this site in the UK last winter while doing a search on why UK prices were so HIGH!!
Some very informative PDF on British environmental requirements if you wander around this site http://www.lathamtimber.co.uk/LocationMap.68.html
I live in North America, never been to the UK. You are on your own, as I have no knowledge if this company is good, bad, or natural. I only was very impressed by the information they posted in the PDF files on plywood, and other man-made wood products for sale. I can only presume this company will carry the hardwoods you seek.
I have given out this like 3 or 4 times, and gotten no feed back on this company. Please let me know if I should continue to post the link, or stop posting the link for the sake of good international relations.
Phil

Buy a copy of "Furniture and Cabinetmaking" mag (just that mag, no other) and read the adverts in the back.
Try yell.co.uk it listed 36 in the manchester area.

Are you sure there were no spelling or typing errors in your quest for Timber Merchants in the Manchester area, on Gogle?
a simple query (Timber Merchants, Manchester) threw up over 541,000 potential entries, when I made an attempt to find information,
Here's the link Google created during my search: http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-38,GGLG:en&q=timber+merchants%2c+Manchester
Hope this is useful to you?