Through Loose Tenons

I have been thinking of trying this for a while, but never have. Through loose tenons. I would keep them square instead of rounded. Seems like it should work. The only problem I can think of is that you would need to make sure that the tenon stock to matches in color to the adjoining rail (if a lot of the tenon is exposed).
I expect to get a few "just use integral tenons for this", but obviously I've considered that already and choose to explore "loose tenons".
Ever tried it?

One more thing, my e-mail is no longer valid due to the amount spam so please visit my website if you choose to contact me directly.
www.garagewoodworks.com

Nice web site. Is Stamey's (sp?) barbecue still in the area?
--
Nonny

Thank you and yes it is, but I've never eaten there.

On 2/7/2010 11:58 AM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Experimented with a batch of gift calendar frames with exposed loose tenons a few years back. Tried some round and some square just for grins. Both 1/4" tenon stock through 3/4" stiles, so they were small and bit hard to work with.
I did try a slight, traditional bevel on the exposed corners of both types. The square ones came out just fine, the rounded exposed tenons looked more like blunted spearheads by the time I got through butchering them. :(
(If I use rounded through loose tenons again, I will just leave them exposed for what they are.)
All said/done, it's doable, it works, and there is no reason why you can't do it.
Also think using loose tenons thicker than 1/4" would allow for a better, more traditional look, and a lot easier to effect ... 3/8" thick would be about a small as I would want to go.
FWIW ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Ok. Thanks. I'm going to give it a go when I can find the time.

GarageWoodworks wrote:

End grain isn't going to match. Viva la difference! __________

Yeah. I wedged them too.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Good question. I once drilled a 1" diameter hole into the end of a 1" diameter dowel and it took me hours to try and measure the length of the hole.

Unfortunately out of my price range.

Hi Charlie
That link and the refference are not coming up for me.
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 09:58:55 -0800 (PST), the infamous GarageWoodworks

You realize, don't you, Brian, that the phrase sounds an awful lot like the title for a tawdry romance novel or cheesy daytime soap opera?
"Through Loose Tenons", the story of a girl, her dog, her doctor, his horse, and seven of the town drunks.

Right. An pine tenon wouldn't look right in a jarrah piece. <snort>

Newp, but I'll bet it would work just fine, given good joinery workmanship.
-- We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us. -- Marcel Proust