Thoughts on Induction motor bogging down

Page 1 of 2
On my belt sander. Never used to do this that I recall. Sat a few years, now it seems to bog down just sanding pine with moderate pressure. It is a 1/2 hp 3450 RPM. Not sure of the brand. Should I try blowing out the dust? Thanks, Tony
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Check to make sure the drive belt isn't slipping.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Do you have brushes ? Perhaps you have a problem with one or both.
Is the cord in good shape - it might have corroded over the time.
Martin
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

A 1/2 HP induction motor is not really enough for a stationary belt sander. And if it is actually 'slowing down' when using it, it is likely that the squirrels have left the cage (so to speak). Besides, for that job, a 2 pole motor sucks.
The whole point of a belt sander is that you set up an argument between a motor and a brake. The motor is supposed to win by wearing away your wood.
I HP minimum, or a quality 3/4 HP at -1800 RPM and pullied up to whatever speed you want your belt to run at.
Robatoy wrote:

That's a great way to put it.
--

-MIKE-

Strictly under peckered for the application.
You need at least 1 HP, better yet 1-1/2HP, 1800 for a belt sander application.
A 1/2 hp 3450 RPM motor is not good for much more than cooling fan duty.
Lew

It's well worth taking apart something like that and cleaning out the dust. I can't tell you (because I haven't counted) how many things I've been able to fix by taking them apart, cleaning them, and then reassembling applying proper lube where required.
Puckdropper

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:41:38 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

If, in fact, it's doing it now and not before, I'd check belt tension and alignment first.. Doesn't take much over tightening of the belt to make a 1/2 hp motor complain..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

This reminds me of people wondering why they can't ski behind a 9 horse Johnson.
In fact, I will write a song about that tonight.
You Cain't Ski Behind A Nine Horse Johnson.
or.. should I make that an Evinrude?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-7I00cZUE0

"Robatoy" wrote:

You Cain't Ski Behind A Nine Horse Johnson.
or.. should I make that an Evinrude?
When the torque of the dork, equals the mass of the ass, And she is wise to the rise in your Levi's. etc................
Lew
"Robatoy" wrote:

Mismatched props maybe?
Lew

If you are referring to the video comparison between the 225 HP 4 stroke and the 225 HP 2 stroke, I assure you that there is something magical when it comes to a high HP 2 stroke engine and bottom end torque. Even a small 250 cc two-stroke dirt bike has capabilities that most 400 cc+ 4-strokers can only dream about.
That is... fuel consumption and pollution aside... there's always a trade-off. I have no idea what Evinrude has done to the concept of two- stroke engines to make them more palatable, but I am about to find out.
Prop matching is still hampered by limited RPM ranges though.
"Robatoy" wrote:
If you are referring to the video comparison between the 225 HP 4 stroke and the 225 HP 2 stroke, I assure you that there is something magical when it comes to a high HP 2 stroke engine and bottom end torque.
My comment was directed at the application.
Sailboats (heavy load) require large props, often 4 blade, relatively low RPM while ski boats (Light load) require smaller props, 2 or 3 blade and higher RPM.
Different horses for different courses.

stroke engines to make them more palatable, but I am about to find out.
Since California outlawed 2-stroke engines except foor leaf blowers, and California represents in excess of 10% of the available market, why would anybody pursue a 2-stroke product?
Shades of a Detroit mind set.
Keep building tin cans with bigger tail fins.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Check again. California has no laws or regulations that prevent the use of two-stroke engines. Their regulations are performance standards and any engine that meets them when tested per the regulations is allowed. The CARB site contains numerous mentions of compliant two-strokes.
Further, there is no exemption for leaf blowers, perhaps you are thinking of snow blowers?
If you're going to spout off about California regulations, at least LEARN WHAT THEY SAY first.
--John

I bought my chain saw in California and it's CARB compliant.. If you look at just about anything 2 cycle on the web it will most likely say "not available in CA" in the ad..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

This is pretty much the case for chain saws and other small engines, and there may be technical issues that make a clean small 2 cycle impractical. Or maybe the manufacturers just can't be assed to do anything about it.
Evinrude (or more precisely Bombardier) is using direct injection (note--not direct _port_ injection but timed direct injection into the cylinder like a diesel) to achieve clean enough combustion to meet emissions standards. Supposedly their new outboards are cleaner than the competing 4-strokes.
Note that this isn't your little 3 horsepower Lightwin we're talking about--power output on current-production Evinrude outboards starts at 25 hp and goes up to 300.
Meanwhile in smaller outboards BRP seems to have only one model, a 9.9 HP four-stroke sold under the "Johnson" brand, that isn't a whole lot more portable than a 25 HP Evinrude, so apparently they've also decided to abandon the under 25 HP market (note that California regs have a demarcation point at 25 HP, but I don't know if the requirements change sufficiently to make under-25-HP engines more difficult to bring into compliance than over 25).
--John
"J. Clarke" wrote:

If you would like to add the word "defacto", be my guest.

In California?
Snow blowers are only needed around the ski resorts along with the snow making equipment.
Translation:
Snow is restricted to the mountains.
Back pack mounted leaf blowers are a way of life.
Commerical yard service companies couldn't survive without them.
A lot of chain saws have larger engines.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Nope. If the two-stroke manufacturers can make the engines pass regs they're welcome.

Yes, in California. If you don't like it take it up with CARB, I don't make the regulations.

The low utilization and their use only in winter is the reason they are allowed.

Well, this is a nice rationalization, however in the real world several leaf blower manufacturers have been forced to exchange noncompliant leaf blowers for compliant ones, and many localities have banned gas powered leaf blowers outright. Further, in the real world the California regulations specifically exempt snow blowers, so it would appear that you are a bit confused on what kind of blower is exempted.
And what does the size of chain saw engines have to do with anything? If they're larger than 25 horsepower it might make a difference under the regulations but beyond that I fail to see your point.
Lew, you're talking through your hat.
--John

*pulling up a chair and gettin' me some popcorn....*