Thoughts on Induction motor bogging down

On my belt sander. Never used to do this that I recall. Sat a few years, now it seems to bog down just sanding pine with moderate pressure. It is a 1/2 hp 3450 RPM. Not sure of the brand. Should I try blowing out the dust? Thanks, Tony

Reply to
ant30dio

Check to make sure the drive belt isn't slipping.

Reply to
Nova

Yea, good thought, but it's OK, it is the motor it self. Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Do you have brushes ? Perhaps you have a problem with one or both.

Is the cord in good shape - it might have corroded over the time.

Mart> On my belt sander. Never used to do this that I recall. Sat a few

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

A 1/2 HP induction motor is not really enough for a stationary belt sander. And if it is actually 'slowing down' when using it, it is likely that the squirrels have left the cage (so to speak). Besides, for that job, a 2 pole motor sucks.

The whole point of a belt sander is that you set up an argument between a motor and a brake. The motor is supposed to win by wearing away your wood.

I HP minimum, or a quality 3/4 HP at -1800 RPM and pullied up to whatever speed you want your belt to run at.

Reply to
Robatoy

That's a great way to put it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Strictly under peckered for the application.

You need at least 1 HP, better yet 1-1/2HP, 1800 for a belt sander application.

A 1/2 hp 3450 RPM motor is not good for much more than cooling fan duty.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in news:d641bd2f-d7b4-4d12- snipped-for-privacy@s1g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

It's well worth taking apart something like that and cleaning out the dust. I can't tell you (because I haven't counted) how many things I've been able to fix by taking them apart, cleaning them, and then reassembling applying proper lube where required.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If, in fact, it's doing it now and not before, I'd check belt tension and alignment first.. Doesn't take much over tightening of the belt to make a 1/2 hp motor complain..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

This reminds me of people wondering why they can't ski behind a 9 horse Johnson.

In fact, I will write a song about that tonight.

You Cain't Ski Behind A Nine Horse Johnson.

or.. should I make that an Evinrude?

Robatoy

You Cain't Ski Behind A Nine Horse Johnson.

or.. should I make that an Evinrude?

When the torque of the dork, equals the mass of the ass, And she is wise to the rise in your Levi's. etc................

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Mismatched props maybe?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If you are referring to the video comparison between the 225 HP 4 stroke and the 225 HP 2 stroke, I assure you that there is something magical when it comes to a high HP 2 stroke engine and bottom end torque. Even a small 250 cc two-stroke dirt bike has capabilities that most

400 cc+ 4-strokers can only dream about.

That is... fuel consumption and pollution aside... there's always a trade-off. I have no idea what Evinrude has done to the concept of two- stroke engines to make them more palatable, but I am about to find out.

Prop matching is still hampered by limited RPM ranges though.

Reply to
Robatoy

If you are referring to the video comparison between the 225 HP 4 stroke and the 225 HP 2 stroke, I assure you that there is something magical when it comes to a high HP 2 stroke engine and bottom end torque.

My comment was directed at the application.

Sailboats (heavy load) require large props, often 4 blade, relatively low RPM while ski boats (Light load) require smaller props, 2 or 3 blade and higher RPM.

Different horses for different courses.

stroke engines to make them more palatable, but I am about to find out.

Since California outlawed 2-stroke engines except foor leaf blowers, and California represents in excess of 10% of the available market, why would anybody pursue a

2-stroke product?

Shades of a Detroit mind set.

Keep building tin cans with bigger tail fins.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Check again. California has no laws or regulations that prevent the use of two-stroke engines. Their regulations are performance standards and any engine that meets them when tested per the regulations is allowed. The CARB site contains numerous mentions of compliant two-strokes.

Further, there is no exemption for leaf blowers, perhaps you are thinking of snow blowers?

If you're going to spout off about California regulations, at least LEARN WHAT THEY SAY first.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I bought my chain saw in California and it's CARB compliant.. If you look at just about anything 2 cycle on the web it will most likely say "not available in CA" in the ad..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

This is pretty much the case for chain saws and other small engines, and there may be technical issues that make a clean small 2 cycle impractical. Or maybe the manufacturers just can't be assed to do anything about it.

Evinrude (or more precisely Bombardier) is using direct injection (note--not direct _port_ injection but timed direct injection into the cylinder like a diesel) to achieve clean enough combustion to meet emissions standards. Supposedly their new outboards are cleaner than the competing 4-strokes.

Note that this isn't your little 3 horsepower Lightwin we're talking about--power output on current-production Evinrude outboards starts at

25 hp and goes up to 300.

Meanwhile in smaller outboards BRP seems to have only one model, a 9.9 HP four-stroke sold under the "Johnson" brand, that isn't a whole lot more portable than a 25 HP Evinrude, so apparently they've also decided to abandon the under 25 HP market (note that California regs have a demarcation point at 25 HP, but I don't know if the requirements change sufficiently to make under-25-HP engines more difficult to bring into compliance than over 25).

Reply to
J. Clarke

I couldn't agree more. But you're talking different horse-shoes for different courses.

The prop geometry is determined by the power-band of the motor as well as the load it is pushing. There isn't a prop that does it all, hence controllable pitch props (which, as I'm sure you know, are not the same as variable pitch props). That holds true in all mediums, air, water, etc.

I think 2 stroke technology is much maligned because "they smoke". I'll take a clean running 2 stroke over a beadly designed/running 4 stroke any day. Then again, I still listen to vinyl, wear real leather and drink beer from glass only.

....and.... two-stroke diesel is moving a shitload of freight around the planet.

Reply to
Robatoy

Naw, we're talking stink boats.

Here in CA, they were banned when it was discovered they were a major source of pollution in the water table because of the additives in gasoline.

Most affected were the smaller applications.

Jet Skis, outboard engines, lawn mowers, etc.

These days, strictly old technology with a finite life span..

SFWIW, trucks used to move containers in/out of the port of LA/Long Beach harbor have been identified as a major source of particulate pollution.

Most of these trucks are about a half a step away from the junk yard since they are usually retired over the road machines, many approaching a million miles of service.

L/A has simply enacted legislation outlawing vehicles past a certain age to operate.

The trucker's associations are objecting, but they will lose, it's an air pollution issue.

Think the first cut was 1989 vehicles.

Penske would never bought Detroit Diesel if they didn't have a new

4-cycle program ready to go.

All the major diesel players have moved to turbo, 14:1 compression ratio, and electronic fuel rack to comply to the new rags.

It's a whole new ball game.

It becomes a real PITA for a sailboat auxiliary.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett