This Old House Comment/Observation

Page 3 of 3

"Lee Michaels" wrote

Topical, because it appears I'm most likely faced with a similar situation as we speak.
AAMOF, just this morning I identified the *wood* in an e-mailed picture of "this is the color (stain) I would like for my kitchen" as nothing other than cherry, but stained, even to someone as colorblind as I am, to something that does not resemble cherry.
(What did you think, Leon?)
Besides, I think the budget is getting a bit tight for cherry, which may be good because she seems more interested in color than the type of wood. However, and although I've seen a very nice kitchen made with birch plywood, stained with a "cherry stain", the face frames didn't quite stain the same, even to my color challenged eye (and she wants hardwood "batten" doors/drawer fronts on top of that!)
... translation: a *lot* of cherry may be stained whether I like it or not, and the thought of using two different types of woods makes her much desired "final look" a toss up, IME.
Life definitely used to be simpler ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Looks like cherry. Keep in mind that most people that are not wood workers consider a clear finish a "stain". I would build it out of cherry or stain it cherry color and charge the same as cherry. I find that it often is the same price to use the real thing and go with a natural finish. I would also remind the customer that you will never perfectly match the picture in color and even if you did it would fade in a few years anyway.
AND, you can use cherry on the face frames and doors, use a cheaper plywood wood on the end panels and sections that will not show. If you build the doors similar to the ones in the picture the wood cost should come down considerably. A solid 2" door frame around a 1/4" cherry panel would be much cheaper than a solid cherry door. Those doors in the picture are a snap to build.
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:06:20 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

For about my last ten years in business I did almost nothing but build cabinets out of cherry.
What most of my customers thought of as "cherry" was the deep and dark color of cherry that was at least more than five years old.
There were some that could be educated to the idea that it starts out light and then darkens over time.
Most wanted that aged color immediately.
So, having a family to feed, I stained their cherry.
Here is the recipe for aged cherry using TransTint dyes in one gallon of nitro lacquer finish:
2 tsp medium brown. 2 tsp red. 1 tsp blue. 1 tsp yellow.
This gives you a deep red color without much brown.
If you want more brown, do the obvious.
Regards,
I should have said that this was not so much a stain on the wood as a color added to the finish.
There was a specific number of passes with the gun during the color coat process to achieve the look.
Worked like a champ and allowed a more intelligent later owner to erase the effect with lacquer thinner.
There was a barrier coat of shellac applied before the color coats.
wrote:

Regards,
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 19:30:10 -0400, the infamous Tom Watson

Sure beats Minwhacked PolyShades. I had a client who made me use that crap on a kitchen cart and I almost puked while doing it. Luckily, it was red/brown on oak ply, aka "mahogany", aka "RBS". (If you recall, I call stains RBS, or Reddish Brown Shit, regardless of the color.)

THAT's the info I was waiting to hear. Goodonya, Tom!
--
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.

I'd rather watch This Here Place.
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoS194-WArg&playnext_from=PL&feature=Pla
yList&p80031EDF1F686D&playnext=1&index=4>