This Old House Comment/Observation

I should have said that this was not so much a stain on the wood as a color added to the finish.

There was a specific number of passes with the gun during the color coat process to achieve the look.

Worked like a champ and allowed a more intelligent later owner to erase the effect with lacquer thinner.

There was a barrier coat of shellac applied before the color coats.

Tom Watson

Gorgeous work, as usual.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Looks like cherry. Keep in mind that most people that are not wood workers consider a clear finish a "stain". I would build it out of cherry or stain it cherry color and charge the same as cherry. I find that it often is the same price to use the real thing and go with a natural finish. I would also remind the customer that you will never perfectly match the picture in color and even if you did it would fade in a few years anyway.

AND, you can use cherry on the face frames and doors, use a cheaper plywood wood on the end panels and sections that will not show. If you build the doors similar to the ones in the picture the wood cost should come down considerably. A solid 2" door frame around a 1/4" cherry panel would be much cheaper than a solid cherry door. Those doors in the picture are a snap to build.

Reply to
Leon

As the old saying goes, "He who pays the band, calls the tune."

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

AKA The Golden Rule.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Or, as any musician will attest: "If you wanted rock n' roll, what the hell did you hire a string quartet for?

Reply to
Swingman

That's the second question, behind, "Where's catering?"

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'd rather watch This Here Place.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Thankie for the kind words! I'm not usually one to toot my own horn, but if showing off those photos can save one piece of cherry from the stain zombies then I'll be happy.

PUT DOWN THE STAIN AND STEP AWAY FROM THE CHERRY! :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

I thought bizarre choices by home owners was supposed to be part of every TOH series. My favorite was the guy who wanted to re-use his kitchen cabinets to save money, and then chose a staircase made of enormous slabs of teak suspended on a seriously custom steel framework, not to mention sheathing half the house in stone and including a bridge over a giant water feature out front. Yeah, avoiding the expense of new plywood boxes in the kitchen showed what a shrew penny-pincher he was....

Reply to
DGDevin

They eventually got the message about the "This Old Mansion" jobs, so now they alternate those with more modest rebuilds. So long as I learn something about how to do X, Y or Z in every series I don't care how overblown the house is.

Reply to
DGDevin

There have actually been several that couldn't afford their houses (after EM finished)

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

I think that was George. My wife didn't like him. TOH got even with him on this one. They had a roof leak during a rain storm and ruined the cabinets.

Dave

Reply to
David G. Nagel

Right, which the show then had to replace at their expense. That house was an exercise in extravagance, I find myself hoping the owner invested most of his money with Bernie Madoff.

Reply to
DGDevin

That pretty much sums up the show - unfortunately.

Reply to
Gus

I might be wrong, but I don't think anyone is this thread said they'd turn down the job. Even Michaelangelo did his fair share of "Sears portrait studio" paintings.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Mabry, according to my spreadsheet, in Cambridge. In my notes I recorded my impression that they seemed to go the extra mile to obfuscate the location, unlike many of the other projects in which you can catch a house number or pick up other clues during the course to be able to get the actual street address. There were absolutely none in my recollection. Still found it, though.

I'm no contractor, but I felt from the first two or three episodes that the budget must have approached seven figures--maybe even more than Manchester (hard as that is to believe--they built a whole new wing, there). It's one of the TOH projects which I never bother to watch reruns.

Funny you say that. I had the same feeling. Not so much "dislike" as not finding anything to like. He was as dull as an old chisel.

The only thing I don't remember seeing was a cat. That would have completed the stereotype perfectly.

As someone already pointed out, TOH wound up eating the cabinets. And rightly so--as I recall, it was an issue of not sufficiently tenting the unfinished roof coupled with a 100 year rainfall.

Reply to
LRod

Of course it doesn't matter, but, if someone wants to zinc coat a diamond because they like the color of zinc, I still have an opinion of not just what I think of their color choice, but a rather strong opinion of doing it to an expensive rare diamond...

Personally, the only interest I have in diamonds is how long they last in my hole saw... cherry on the other hand...

still, you're right, it sure matters not a wit.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Damn you do nice work...

Reply to
Jack Stein

It had to have been one of the most expensive they ever did, and it underscored how far the show had wandered from what it was originally supposed to be.

My wife and I both had the reaction that the house wasn't a place for him to live, it was meant to substitute for the life he didn't have. Perhaps we're wrong and actually the house has been filled with family and friends ever since, but somehow I can still see that guy wandering from room to room admiring the place all by himself.

Reply to
DGDevin