This gator's got no power (Lowes new sandpaper)

Page 1 of 2
Was low on sanding disks and had to go down to Lowes anyway so figured I'd stock up. Instead of the expected Norton or 3M or other well known brand, I found "Gator Power". Well, I got a pack of 80 and of 120 (no 150 to be had) and tried it out. Wore out six disks trying to get the walnut stain off of one table leaf (the rest of the table had been cleaned with harsh cleansers so many times that it had no stain or other finish on it--wanted the leaf to match). The stuff cut like crazy for about ten seconds a disk and then just stopped. Didn't seem to be loaded up or anything and had lots of grit left on it, so it had to have gotten dull that fast. Worse, it left little swirly marks all over the place (you know, the kind you get when you got a metal filing stuck on the disk or something?).
I finally said "screw this" and sharpened up the scraper, which made short work of it, not to mention taking out the little swirly marks.
It's a limited sample and anecdotal I admit, but from my viewpoint it will be a cold day in Hell before I buy any more "Gator Power" sanding disks. It's worth the gas to drive down to Coastal if I can't get anything decent from the big box stores anymore.
On 11/6/10 12:27 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I love using a scraper.

If you have a way to deal with the black powder that results and it won't ruin whatever you're working on, those mesh drywall sanding sheets work great for removing lots of stuff from wood. In my experience, at least.
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

I used to but my thumbs get distraught with me these days. Only thing worse than getting old is the alternative.

Have to give that a try.

Josh,
A man who uses a 100 year old keyhole saw to carve pumpkins must surely have a Stanley 112, 80, 12 or even an 81 in his stash.
The April, 2003 issue of Popular Woodworking had plans for a DIY card scraper holder in the tips section. I built one of those a few years ago for a total cost of 29 cents and some scrap oak. It's not fancy, but works just fine to save thumbs from heat and pressure.
I could find the article in their index, but not on the site. If you don't have that issue,drop me a note off list.
Regards, Roy

Ditto. That stuff cuts like crazeeee... and for a long time too. When used for its intended purpose, it almost makes sanding drywall mud fun....I said almost....

Lately, I've been using sandpaper from Mirka. It's design actually does what it claims and lasts a hell of a long time. Yup, it's expensive, but the need to use new disks has been cut down tremendously. http://www.atlas-machinery.com/products/Mirka-Abrasives-AE232F1025-5--240Grit-10Pack

Mirka bulldog gold rocks! I get mine from Woodworkers Hardware, 5" 8 hole 50 sheets for $17.50 or so... They have that Abranet that some fella recently was talking about there too. I probably buy 90% of my cabinet building supplies there. No affiliation blah, blah... Good prices, good service, blah, blah... RP
"Upscale" wrote:

http://www.atlas-machinery.com/products/Mirka-Abrasives-AE232F1025-5--240Grit-10Pack ---------------------------- Are they truly worth a 300+% price premium?
I buy 6", 8 hole H&L for $0.22-$0.25/per disk based on grit, all day long.
Lew

"Truly worth the price" is open to discretion. They are usuable a lot longer then other sanding disks and they operate much cleaner than other disks I've used. To me that's convenience. Since I feel I can afford the money to 'waste' on such a product, then yes they are worth it to 'me'. Someone else? Maybe not, but everyone I know has bought something once in awhile that others feel was a waste of money.

Mirka Abranet on a Festool Rotex is better than single malt sex.

If you have 2 guys sanding for 8 hours to finish a couple or three of solid surface countertops, that extra $ 20.00 is soon forgotten. Abranet offers much better dust collection on a Rotex than anything I have tried over the years. That and the longevity of the product plus the consistency of the stuff makes it worth every penny.... besides, the 6" 9-hole pattern isn't generally available from those 25/disk schlock houses.
Then again, there are those who insist on running today's modern engines on regular gas just because the on-board computer allows the timing to be dropped back far enough to 'keep it running'. </troll>
"Robatoy" wrote:

Abranet offers much better dust collection on a Rotex than anything I have tried over the years. That and the longevity of the product plus the consistency of the stuff makes it worth every penny.... ------------------------------------- The old "Cost of ownership" game.
In order to justify the up front investment, you have to have the hours of operation. ----------------------------------
besides, the 6" 9-hole pattern isn't generally available from those 25/disk schlock houses. ----------------------------------- Klingspor?
Hardly a schlock operation. --------------------------------------

timing to be dropped back far enough to 'keep it running'. </troll> ---------------------------- Oh RUBBISH! !
Snake oil guys hooked another one.
Lew
On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 09:09:01 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I'll have to agree with you there Lew. But I did run into a problem with today's gasohol. Seems the alcohol gradually dissolves tank liners, at least the ones used on motorcycles years ago. I'd lined a tank about 15 years ago to fix a small leak and eliminate rusting and it worked fine as long as alcohol was used only in the winter. A few years ago they started putting alcohol in year round. I looked in the tank one morning this year and there were pieces of liner floating loose in the gas!
I talked to several vintage motorcycle nuts and they all confirmed, as did some web sites, that it was the alcohol causing the problem.

You're telling me there is no difference between regular a premium gasoline, Lew?
"Robatoy" wrote:

--------------------------------- No, I'm saying that for 90+% of the vehicles on the road, there is absolutely no added benefit derived from using "premium" gasolines.
They are designed to run on "regular".
The price premium goes directly to the refiners bottom line.
The consumer takes it in the shorts.
Lew

Where n hell you buying Klingspor for .25 a sheet? I want some.
RP
"RP" wrote:

Direct from Klingspor.
Minimum order = $50
Standard Box Size = 100 pcs/grit.
Usual order is about $100 + sales tax.
Lew

for 5" discs for the random orbit sander. Do they exist?
On 11/8/10 7:56 PM, Kimosabe wrote:

I doubt it. They are designed for drywall plaster and I don't think too many folks are using power sanders on mud. They may make those screens in disc format, but I doubt it's a stock item at most home stores.
Fair warning, again.... the black stuff of which it's made will get all over whatever you're sanding and even embed itself in some open grain woods, like oak. Just letting folks know to test it out first. I'd say, great for removing a finish, but not so great on bare wood.
--

-MIKE-

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 17:56:44 -0800 (PST), Kimosabe

I buy 5" 8-hole Norton pads from Harbor Freight. They last pretty darned well, as they should for a buck a pop.
-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck