Thinning Poly

Hi guys,
I have been using Minwax Poly products. Most products say not to thin poly products. But, I feel the poly products are to thick for my needs. What's the best thinner to add to poly products.
Thanks guys,
Michael

Any chance it lists a thinner on the side of the can?
You can use just about any hydrocarbon solvent. You can even use acetone but it's really for spraying heavy coats. I like odorless mineral spirits, thinning about 20%. It enables you to maintain a wet edge while brushing. If you want really slow evaporating, try about 10 drops of kerosene per pint of polyurethane.
Good Luck.

Be careful wit hacetone. It is REALLY toxic.

If you acetone, that's fairly innocuous. Certainly not as toxic as benzene.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Stoutman has his knickers in a twist about acetone for some reason. There was a long, long thread on this a while back.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Then, for his benefitthe following:
Acetone is (a component of) one of the normal metabolites of glucose. If someone has a problem in his/her metabolism then you can smell acetone on his/her breath. This is an indication of a problem, but not the cause, and the toxicity of acetone is low. However, since pure acetone will denature proteins, it is ***very bad*** to administer the liquid internally or systemically. Externally there should not be a problem with small quantities.
See: <http://www.westga.edu / ~chem/courses/chem1152/lectures/112Ap1599a/sld016.htm>
--
Best regards
Han

Not my words, but I certainly trust them. It's science, and I *can* get to the real meaning of them. It's my training that enables me.

Had to look up entheology. I never heard of it before. Qualifier: In my opinion: Now I wish I hadn't looked it up ... What a load of crap.
--
Best regards
Han

Han wrote:

The page to which he is referring is on the Canadian Centre for Occupational Safety and Health (the Canadian government's equivalent of OSHA in the US) site at <http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/acetone/health_ace.html .
The reason he is on about "entheology" is that there is a copy of that page at <http://www.entheology.org/tips-acetone/acetone.htm , which for some reason was linked by by Paul Kierstad in the earlier thread on March 12 instead of the "official" page. He seems to think that if he shouts "entheology" enough then that will somehow discredit the Canadian government.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
If he thinks acetone is bad (which of course, it is), he should have used carbon tet as a child, to clean various items...
Dave
J. Clarke wrote:

I hope you forgot the sarcasm symbol, because of the respective MSDSs:
For "carbon tet" From <http://www.matheson-trigas.com/msds/MAT04310.pdf
POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS: INHALATION: SHORT TERM EXPOSURE: irritation, digestive disorders, headache, symptoms of drunkenness, lung congestion, kidney damage, liver damage, effects on the brain, convulsions, coma LONG TERM EXPOSURE: visual disturbances, reproductive effects, cancer SKIN CONTACT: SHORT TERM EXPOSURE: same as effects reported in short term inhalation, rash, symptoms of drunkenness, kidney damage, liver damage LONG TERM EXPOSURE: same as effects reported in long term inhalation EYE CONTACT: SHORT TERM EXPOSURE: no information on significant adverse effects LONG TERM EXPOSURE: no information is available INGESTION: SHORT TERM EXPOSURE: same as effects reported in short term inhalation, symptoms of drunkenness, lung congestion, kidney damage, liver damage LONG TERM EXPOSURE: cancer
For acetone, From <http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/A0446.htm
Potential Health Effects ----------------------------------
Inhalation: Inhalation of vapors irritates the respiratory tract. May cause coughing, dizziness, dullness, and headache. Higher concentrations can produce central nervous system depression, narcosis, and unconsciousness. Ingestion: Swallowing small amounts is not likely to produce harmful effects. Ingestion of larger amounts may produce abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. Aspiration into lungs can produce severe lung damage and is a medical emergency. Other symptoms are expected to parallel inhalation. Skin Contact: Irritating due to defatting action on skin. Causes redness, pain, drying and cracking of the skin. Eye Contact: Vapors are irritating to the eyes. Splashes may cause severe irritation, with stinging, tearing, redness and pain. Chronic Exposure: Prolonged or repeated skin contact may produce severe irritation or dermatitis. Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions: Use of alcoholic beverages enhances toxic effects. Exposure may increase the toxic potential of chlorinated hydrocarbons, such as chloroform, trichloroethane.
--
Best regards
Han

I used to have problems with the ground wire floating around the PVC when I turned on the blower. To keep it in place, I've weighted it down by tying it to a gallon can of acetone and just let it hand. .

That would be the Gov't talking, not the manufacturer. Making the product thick keeps them within the VOC regulations.

Mineral spirits for the one you ask about.
Barry

I always start off with a piss coat. 20% thinner or more. It crawls deeper into the fibrous structure of the wood, due to penetrability and capillary action... IOW..it sucks in deeper. Then the rest of the coats at norbal [sic] strength.