Thinnest glue up

What would the minimum thickness, of a properly jointed, board, for edge gluing be? I assume you couldn't edge glue veneer, nor would you actually want to. Could you edge glue 1/8" stock? 3/16" stock? Assuming proper glue and jointing. I would assume clamping could start to get tricky on thin material.

Reply to
No

Veneer is edge glued frequently. Especially when making bookmatched sheets for panels. No clamps are used in the edge gluing process, just veneer tape.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

at some point your thin material ceases to support it's own weight. at that point, like veneer, to be useful you'll need to attach it to a substrate. it'll be edge glued, but the main thing holding it together is the substrate.

clamping thin stock edge to edge is tricky. masking tape is pretty useful as a clamp in these situations.

Reply to
bridger

The thinest stock I've edge glued was 1/4" baltic birch plywood with some white oak trim. I tried a edge to edge glue up and had trouble getting a strong joint (probably because I couldn't clamp it very well). I ended up using biscuits and didn't have any troubl with joint strength after that.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cooper

On 7/25/2005 2:57 PM No mumbled something about the following:

David Marks has edge glued 1/8" veneer quite often for bookmatch veneers. Usually uses tape to keep the edges together, and bricks to keep it weighted down flat.

Reply to
Odinn

"Odinn" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com... Reeky's unofficial homepage ...

Thomas Bunetta

Think acoustic guitars, bookmatched tops and backs. These are usually glued up with the plates rough sanded to the 1/8 inch range, then thickness sanded down to the final desired thickness (anywhere from 2 mm (0.08in) up to 2.5 or

2.6 mm (around .1in) ). joints are usually glued with a little clamping pressure, but it is not uncommon for backs to butt the hardwood plates up to each other with just enough pressure to keep the join closed, and then soak the joint with CA.

Jim Kirby

Reply to
James T. Kirby

OK - Thanks everyone for your replies! So veneer is edge glued, I have not yet had the opportunity to work with veneer.

So, it seems any thickness can be edge glued. If the material can support itself then it can be glued and stand alone, veneers, of course, get veneered.

Reply to
No

On 7/25/2005 10:06 PM Thomas Bunetta mumbled something about the following:

I'm heading out tomorrow for Sturgis via Austin, Tx, Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, Vegas, Yosemite, Walla Walla WA, and Yellowstone and back via Austin for a week there for work. I'll quit riding when they put cover me with dirt :)

Reply to
Odinn

Is a hearty "You Suck" allowed by the Net nannies for an off topic Gloat? Tom Maker of Fine Sawdust and Thin Shavings

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta