The woes of vacuum - how I wrecked my shop built duct collector before I finished it

Well, I'm surprised at how much vacuum a 2.5HP, 6 gal. craftsman wet-dry vac produces...
I got a used salt drum from the local water softener man, rigged it together with my shop vac and extra hoses/couplers and it was working great during testing.. all the sawdust was going into the salt drum and falling to the bottom, none passing into the vac. I tested it by cutting about 5 feet of 3/4" dado on the TS, worked like a charm...
Then I got nutty, pulled the hose off TS, stuck an extension wand onto the end of it and started vacuuming pine needles off the drive way when a huge wad of needles suddenly cloged the hose and guess what happened?
the salt drum crumpled like a beer can...
Well, at least I know it works, but I've got to find a different precolletor container.
Tillman
On 16 May 2004 17:54:26 -0700, tillman snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (tillius) brought forth from the murky depths:

Yeah, Crapsman really sucks, doesn't it? (couldn't resist that straight line)

Har! Got JPGs? ;)

Or rig up a failsafe device. Cut a 3" square hole in the intake line before the first stage fiber can, then duct-tape a piece of trash can liner (or whatever) over it. When the hose gets plugged, it'll suck a hole in the "failsafe" and prevent collapse.
--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. - http://diversify.com Web Applications
[...]

Im not so sure, i've seen (mylar) *thin* foil of about that size stand on-sided vacuum without breaking, and i'm talking "real" vacuum (10^-3 mBar) here.
On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:30:56 +0200, Juergen Hannappel

Just keep in mind that the strongest vacuum EVER is only 14.7 psi below atmospheric pressure. Less than 15 psi! Weak as worms' water!

Try prying something apart in a vacuum bag.
On 18 May 2004 15:29:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DarylRos) posted:

For 4 square inches, that'll be <60lb, thankyouverymuch!
Try three weeks on your Bullworker (tm) :)
On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:30:56 +0200, Juergen Hannappel

So don't use Mylar, Milo. Use a second-hand baggie, trash can liner, latex glove, whatever. Test it (without the collapsible can) to make sure it works. Man, do I have to -think- for you guys, too? ;)
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development