The Ultimate Earmuffs

Page 1 of 2
I would like to have a pair of earmuffs that do all of the following functions: 1. Reduce excessive noise to a safe level. 2. Allow normal conversation and sounds to be heard. 3. Tie into the phone system. This would require a microphone to be included. When the phone rang you'd hear it in the headphones, and via a voice recognition command you could answer it and speak - all handsfree. Employees, vendors, emergency service providers - they'd all be a word away. 4. Tie into my computer system so that I could digitally record memos, notes, emails etc... Again this would be accomplished via VR. Since my pc is my stereo these days, I'd control the shop music via voice command as well. This way I could swap out the foxtrot music for some Yankee Hotel Foxtrot when the geezers leave the building. All without stepping out from behind the bench. 5. Since I envision DreamShop 1.x to have a computerized power management system, I might as well have remote control over the lights, air conditioning and security system - and maybe even tools themselves. "Griggio, ON!" would give me great satisfaction. (Safer yet, "Griggio, [passsword], ON!" 6. Clear and instant communication between employees would also be excellent to have - why not throw in an intercom system. Our shop is an acoustical disaster, so it's sometimes hard to understand people even when the machinery isn't screaming.
The technology exists today. Maybe I'll see it at the IWF '04 in Atlanta...
JP ************** "Beer me."
It's possible you could adapt an aviation headset to do all of this.
Jay Pique wrote:

Elwood Dowd wrote:

I suspect that if you stuck a bluetooth headset under a pair of your favorite earmuffs you'd be able to do all that. Be a pain in the butt to set up though.

--
--John
Elwood Dowd responds:

I hope not. It sounds like a wonderful way to slice off some fingers while paying attention to everyting but the tool.
Charlie Self "Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful partner, and you can keep the clubs and the fresh air." Jack Benny
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

The packaged product may not exist, but each of the individual traits I discussed is available in some form or another already. If indeed the product were to become available, it wouldn't be a difficult fix to have a lockout on all functions save for the noise supression while using machinery. It could even be automatic - "Griggio, ON" simlutaneously fires up the saw and temporarily blocks any other incoming signal.
JP
Just what ( or whom?) do you consider a geezer? What age group? :-) Joe

"Jay Pique" wrote in message

I finally gave up on all that and just plug in my iPod.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

NoOne N Particular wrote:

Just use it to control the stasis box where you keep her when you're not using her.

--
--John

This is not a patentable idea since it is available to the public now, before one has been produced.
If you want to patent something, don't post your idea on usenet. Don't tell anyone other than NDA'd consultants until at least the PPA has been received by the USPTO.
-Mike
You're a guy I'd like to hang out with. ;-) "Beer me."
Brian.

And how much would you be willing to spend for this?

It's tough to say, as I believe the IT consulting fee would far outweigh the actual hardware costs. For just the ear protection/microphone combo I'd guess around $500 for a single unit, but that's not the "product" in which I'm interested. If you could provide all of the below in a (very) dependable and durable format - and it was OSHA compliant - I would think that a cost benefit analysis might show it to be worth quite a bit. For me if I were to open DreamShop? How about $10k and support for one year after it's fully operational, then a reasonable fee going forward for the addition of new machinery, etc...
JP **************** Noise cancelling tech would be nice too - even on a shopwide basis.

I wonder if a defense contractor makes something like this for DOD -- maybe for helicopter pilots. At that kind of price, maybe you could afford what they sell.

I don't know about a helicopter setup from DOD. I can just se it now. Your are cutting a piece of hardwood on your table saw and then turn your head. . .
Wayne
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 02:29:27 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"

LOL. I actually got to put one of those on at the Paris Air Show (Le Bourget?) a bunch of years ago. Tres cool.
JP
"igor" asked

$39.99 for the Harbor Freight edition. 8^)
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 12:18:51 GMT, "M Wingett"

The $2 sets already come with most of those specs filled, but they don't have the phone connection set.
But I'm a firm believer in the "If I'm in the shop, I don't want to talk on the phone." style. Though I did install a phone there ($5 phone with $5 rebate), I very seldom answer it unless I've finished the task at hand. Y'know: waiting for glue to dry or something like that. I see no reason for a cell phone, either. Shop time is "away" time. I find that I sometimes leave the muffs on even though there are no tools running for the peace and quiet. No neighbor dogs barking, no crows cawing, no cows mooing, no Harleys brappin', no phones ringing, etc.
- - - Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever. --- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming for YOU!
Larry Jaques writes:

I don't mind talking on the phone in the shop, but, like you, I don't jump for it immediately when it rings--if I even hear it. Loss of hearing, tinnitus and loud tools (muffled, now, by ear plugs or muffs) all contribute. At times, too, it's downright dangerous to drop things and grab the phone.
I do it the simple way. Take a cordless handset out to the shop. Some day, I may actually get a dual handset model, because I have been known to get a memory blip and leave the handset out in the shop overnight, which does the battery no good at all and leaves me without a shop phone when I need to call out.
Calls out are the province of the shop phone, IMO. They are safety items should your wood rack collapse and knock you to the floor or another such incident occur.
Charlie Self "Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories - those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell Baker
Fri, Aug 6, 2004, 7:27am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (CharlieSelf) says: <snip> I have been known to get a memory blip and leave the handset outin the shop overnight, which does the battery no good at all and leaves me without a shop phone when I need to call out. <snip>
Mines got a clip on it, so you can hang it on your belt. Or, just keep it in a pocket instead of setting it down. Then, as long as you don't leave your pants in the shop, you're set.
JOAT Jesus was a Ford man, that's why he walked everywhere.
WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN http://home.maine.rr.com/itscool/Egyptian.mid