The U.S. Government Is Trying To Take Away Your Pocket Knives!

Page 7 of 8

Han,
The guard was killed with a rifle, IIRC. I don't recall reading the caliber or type. McVeigh used a massive bomb. Neither will fit in a pocket.
I believe that living risks dying from some random event, and madmen and other psycopaths are about as random as it gets. Note in GB, with very tight gun control laws, not too long ago an MD was convicted of killing some 200+ patients with poison. McVeigh used a very inefficient bomb type, mostly made from diesel fuel and fertilizer. None of this can be legislated out of existence because the fertilizer is needed for food production, and diesel fuel gets it from the farm to the market. There was an immense hoorah about tracking anyone who bought large amounts of both back around the time of the event, but the problem there comes fro the simple fact that one helluva lot of farmers uses that kind of fertilizer, and have diesel tractors, and other machinery. Farmers don't buy fertilizer by the 100 pound sack, but by the truckload, and even the small farms around here can have two or three 500 gallon diesel tanks scattered around to feed the tractors.
Over-broadening definitions of weaponry, or useful tools, is something the government often does...any government, not just in the U.S. It is not new. Bush's minions couldn't get the assault rifle definition changed to sanity, but, then, AFAIK, they also didn't try hard. Handguns are always going to be a hot spot, one that most politicians fear to touch, while the NRA creates more problems by screaming about bans, instead of working to get realistic controls when they KNOW that controls are inevitable. The people at the top of NRA know that allowing people who lack knowledge of guns to formulate the details of control means there's more to holler about, keeping their membership on the rise, and their salaries likewise.
Swing, take into consideration that GB took 65+ years to get to its present state, not five or six or even a couple of decades. We don't have quite the same background, and won't head that far that way as easily, so five years is really way too pessimistic. Among other things, there are far too many guns in this country to consider any kind of efficient confiscation. While a lot of us have spent the past eight years say, well, if I don't do anything wrong, what difference does it make if the Feds check my mail and telephone and my library reading habits and similar activities, even more realized that kind of government activity is not a good thing in the long run, or even the short run. Hell, even during WWII, censorship of mail was pretty much confined to the Armed Forces mail from overseas. So, IMO, there will be more and more resistance to gun control, and weapons control.
We do have a major problem, though, one that started during WWII, really got rolling in the mid to late '60s, and that continues today: too may alphabet soup government employees looking to make sure all live lives as they feel we should. Christ, I can't even begin to remember the names, but DEA, FBI, DEA and 50 different divisions in HSA are sitting waiting to pounce, as is IRS, while Customs is now taking it upon itself to write its own rules, something that should NOT be allowed. I've met a few Customs agency types. I really don't want them regulating my ability, or judging my need or lack of need, to buy much of anything, whether it's a kitchen knife, a tablesaw, or a jacknife.
The guard was killed with a rifle, IIRC. I don't recall reading the caliber or type. McVeigh used a massive bomb. Neither will fit in a pocket.
IIRC it was a friggin .22 rifle. I wonder here he was actually hit.
"Leon" wrote:

Ever see the damage a .22 long rifle hollow point can do?
Lew

I have actually felt a .22 long. They glance off bones pretty easily, thank goodness.
"Leon" wrote:

Big difference between a .22 long and a .22 long rifle hollow point.
Glad you were not seriously hurt.
Doubt you would have been so lucky if it had been a .22 long rifle hollow point.
Lew
SFWIW, I forgot how many thousand .22 long rifle hollow point rounds I've squeezed off in my life.

I suspect they like to bounce around compared to a more powerful calibre that would go straight through.
"Upscale" wrote:

.22 long rifle hollow point, think dum-dum.
They simply tear everything to shreads.
Lew
Han wrote:

Can't stop the McVeighs. You'd have to ban bat shit and diesel fuel.
Han wrote:

Nothing more than what we're doing.
While tragic, the actions of McVeigh or von Brunn are the price we must pay for freedom.
You don't ban the practice of medicine because of the occasional screw-up due to incompetence, error, or negligence. Those you accept as regrettably inevitable while trying to minimize their appearance with actions short of interfering with all the cases where the regulation would get in the way.
Han wrote:

Well, we could pass legislation to ban diesel fuel and ammonia and chicken guano and...
...or we could just pass legislation to make murder illegal.
Hmm, that probably wouldn't work - perhaps if we just dis-armed all newborns...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Stop fertilizing crops.

I can assure you of this, taking away their way of protecting themselves sure won't help.

http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20Customs%20Proposed%20Ruling%20-%20Assisted%20Opening%20Knives.pdf I

Precisely! Even the Pointy Stick is banned!
LD wrote:

There was a movie about 40 years ago where the hero stated that he could kill you 15 different ways using only his little finger. Maybe little fingers should be baned.

http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20Customs%20Proposed%20Ruling%20-%20Assisted%20Opening%20Knives.pdf I

Magazines. The kind you read. One of my uncles taught me how to use a magazine as a weapon. Ironically, he got his training from the British Army!

Not surprising. Military services exist for the defense (presumably) of their respective countries. The membersof the most successful military units learn one primary skill: how to kill, preferably without dying themselves; disabling an enemy is usually considered more effective, it isn't always possible in the heat of battle. All else is delivery systems and support.

http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20Customs%20Proposed%20Ruling%20-%20Assisted%20Opening%20Knives.pdf I

Oh shit! Our teeth are gonna turn green and crooked?????
B.

Yeeeehaww! beat the fuck out of each other at sporting events!!!!!

http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20Customs%20Proposed%20Ruling%20-%20Assisted%20Opening%20Knives.pdf
Like sheep being lead to slauder, those that think that out lawing pocket knives, guns, etc will curb senseless deaths, are in line for a different method of death.
RE: Subject
It reminds me of Pavlov's dog.
Very predictable the way some folks will react.
Lew