The U.S. Government Is Trying To Take Away Your Pocket Knives!

> I found this stuff mentioned in a gun rights e-mail and followed the path

Like sheep being lead to slauder, those that think that out lawing pocket knives, guns, etc will curb senseless deaths, are in line for a different method of death.

Reply to
Leon

Hmmm, we're all woodworkers here, right?

Next time you go into your shop take a look at your 1/8" mortice chisel. Feel how comfortably it fits in your hand, look at that blade, it's realy sharp on the end isn't it - you honed it to perfection. It's a good strong straight blade, about 4" long, much more suited to being driven into something than a knife........

Look at that little pruning saw you bought a few days ago, you know, the one with the fold out 8" blade. It's a pull saw. Think what those teeth could do to human flesh. A knife might cut to the bone - that thing? - well I'll leave that to your own imagination.....

Who needs a knife ;-|

Reply to
Stuart

RE: Subject

It reminds me of Pavlov's dog.

Very predictable the way some folks will react.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

> I found this stuff mentioned in a gun rights e-mail and followed the path > to

John,

That's a 63 page document that I don't have time to read thoroughly right now but a quick brief shows that you left out the word "imported" in your haste to spread the news. After looking at some of the imported knives being denied entry into the US, I would agree that those I did read about are not general utility knives and certainly do fall into the category of a weapon..

They define "switchblade" and the reasoning behind the ruling. What part is making my pocket knives illegal?

There are people out there that would insist that a fully automatic weapon is a necessary hunting gun - right up until they have been shot at by one.

Bob S.

Bob,

You missed a couple points... One being that the vast majority of the knives sold in the US are imported. Even the Boy Scout pocket knive are these days since the demiss of Schrade and then Camillus. Rather than rewrite the thing, following is part of an e-mail being distributed by Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

The Second Amendment Foundation and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms have joined with Knife Rights to help fight this unwarranted knife grab by Customs. Alan Gottlieb CCRKBA Chairman noted, "we stand with Knife Rights in their support of Americans' right to own and carry the knives of their choice."

And, just a reminder, the Second Amendment doesn't say "Firearms," it says "Arms," and knives are clearly covered.

The U.S. Government is after your Pocket Knives! In a sneak attack, U.S. Customs has proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening knives are not switchblades. The proposal would not only outlaw assisted opening knives, its overly broad new definition of a switchblade would also include all one-handed opening knives and most other pocket knives!

U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) on May 21st proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening knives are not switchblades. The proposed new rule would not only outlaw assisted opening knives, its new broad definition of a switchblade could also include one-handed opening knives and could be easily interpreted to cover most other pocket knives, even simple old-fashioned slip-joints.

At this point, one-hand opening and assisted opening knives are 80% of U.S. knife sales. For most knife companies, they represent all or the majority of their product lines. These are the knives Americans take with them to work and to play everyday.

Note, please, that CBP's interpretation of the Federal Switchblade Act forms the basis for national, state and even local law and judicial rulings in many cases. This ruling by CBP is NOT limited to just imports. This WILL affect virtually everyone who carries a pocket knife, no matter the type!

CBP came up with this absurd proposal and then tried slipping it into their regular notices, apparently hoping nobody would become aware of until too late. They provided for only the minimum 30-day comment period, and there's no email comments allowed. Just yesterday CBP rejected numerous requests for an extension to the unduly short comment period. Obviously, they'd just as soon not hear from us. We're intending to disappoint them in that.

CBP's proposal would have effects far beyond that suggested in the title of the proposal, "Proposed Revocation Of Ruling Letters And Revocation Of Treatment Relating To The Admissibilty [sic] Of Certain Knives With Spring-Assisted Opening Mechanisms," which would be bad enough even if it only did that. However, this proposal would likely make it illegal for the estimated 40 million law-abiding Americans who own and carry pocket knives to do so. It would also cost this country dearly in destroyed businesses, lost jobs and ruined families.

Thousands of jobs and billions of dollars would be lost. CBP clearly appears to not have considered the consequences of this unnecessary, inappropriate and even illegitimate action. Since CBP is not required to consider the effects of their actions, only Congress or the courts can rein them in. If left to the courts, the industry and our rights will be devastated and America will lose much, regardless of who wins the legal fight.

The definition of what is a switchblade has been clear and settled for the most part since the Federal Switchblade Act was passed in 1958 and has been reaffirmed by many years of legal decisions. The Act is very clear that a switchblade must have an activating button on the handle. Without a button, it is not a switchblade and this has been upheld by numerous cases on many levels over the years. CBP's convoluted reasoning in their proposal to reach back beyond the law and to expand their regulatory purview by rationalizing "intent" as justification for this new interpretation is a stretch, at best, and illegitimate at worst. It simply doesn't meet the common sense test.

CBP's reaching beyond the clear language of the Act in making this proposal is particularly questionable and irreconcilable because it flies in the face of virtually unanimous recent state court rulings (including several cases in California, Texas, Illinois and Michigan) where the issue of assisted-opening knives has already been decided in favor of the existing clear interpretation, that they are not a switchblade. They cherry-picked a few bizarre and untypical rulings from New York state from some years ago to provide support for their proposal, ignoring the many more recent rulings.

Beyond that, their significantly expanded interpretation of gravity and inertia knives, also included in the Act, would clearly make one-hand opening pocket knives illegal and according to industry sources, 80% of pocket knives sold today are one-hand or assisted openers. Beyond even that clearly excessively broad seizure of authority, we know from past unfortunate experience in many cases over the years that this sort of misinterpretation leads to potential abuse by law enforcement where even the most simple and innocuous Boy Scout folding pocket knife can be opened one-handed by use of dangerous and unsafe tricks, so that these too would be covered under this expanded federal definition. This ruling would therefore make almost all pocket knives subject to being considered switchblades.

The impact of this CBP ruling would go far beyond just imported knives because this "agency determination" will be used by domestic courts and law enforcement to determine what is a "switchblade" under both federal and state laws. Many states do not themselves define switchblades and simply rely on the federal definition and interpretation, which is only found in rulings by CBP. Since interstate commerce in switchblades is prohibited, except under very limited conditions, simply driving across a state line with a pocket knife in their possession would make someone a federal felon.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Oh shit! Our teeth are gonna turn green and crooked?????

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

"Leon" wrote in news:jaudnYkEAooDu6nXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I don't understand. I am the fatalist, I believe that when your number is up, you're gonzo. But does that mean that we have to condone lunatics who hatch murderous plans?

Reply to
Han

Yeeeehaww! beat the f*ck out of each other at sporting events!!!!!

Reply to
Robatoy

I don't understand why people are getting worked up about this. They're talking about assisted knives and one-handed operation. That's the territory of the Americans with Disabilities Act. So let the two branches of government fight it out. Kind of like tossing a meat bone to a couple of dogs so they fight each other instead of you.

RicodJour

So what do you propose to do about them?

Reply to
J. Clarke

There was a movie about 40 years ago where the hero stated that he could kill you 15 different ways using only his little finger. Maybe little fingers should be baned.

Reply to
David G. Nagel

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

We are paying the FBI to prevent terrorism, and we have monitors exmining websites. People who openly advertise that they are crazy (as von Brunn did on his website) should not be allowed to possess firearms. In addition, I am afraid that airport-type controls should be instituted at places like the Holocaust museum(s). The ubiquitous presence of firearms permits too many crazies to go around killing people. If you don't want to limit firearms possession, we'll all have to live in an armed defensive camp.

Reply to
Han

Just today:

"[FREETOWN, Sierra Leone] 'We have forced water into the building and some of the snakes trying to escape were shot by our men carrying AK-47s...About

250 of the estimated 400 snakes who had made the [police] station their home have been killed."

HeyBub

They may be crazy, but they're not stupid. If you go around taking weapons away from people who act crazy in public, they'll simply stop being public about their business. You will, therefore, accomplish nothing.

Meanwhile, you've deprived someone who fears alien abduction, and its resultant anal probing, the ability to defend himself.

Reply to
HeyBub

You don't have a utility knife - the kind where you push a tab and the blade extends?

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:FdOdndl3F8p9cKnXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Maybe some elementary school education of thesae unwashed masses would help. You are now suggesting that the crazies are the result of the American educational system. Maybe that's true.

Reply to
Han

"HeyBub" wrote in news:V_WdndwjRcPwc6nXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I don't think the VA police would let a visitor bring such a weapon into the hospital. For reasons of prior unpleasant experiences. Would you like me to ask my friendly Manhattan VA Officer?

Reply to
Han

It is unlawful for anyone who has been adjudicated mentally defective to possess a firearm. What are you proposing, that anyone who expresses an unpopular opinion on a Web side be adjudicated mentally defective?

Tell us how to draft such a statute so that one could not have _you_ declared mentally defective on the basis of your continued off-topic rantings on this newsgroup.

Or maybe we just train security guards to a high enough standard that some decrepit old codger won't get the drop on them.

Why are you singling out that one murder as being of such vast significance?

Reply to
J. Clarke

for hunting, all that you have found is that some cops in Sierra Leone used their issue AK-47s to shoot snakes. What would you have had them do, waste time and money going off and obtaining more politically correct firearms for that one incident when the ones they were issued would do the job just fine?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Han wrote in news:Xns9C2A54F5A899Aikkezelf@199.45.49.11:

You have a clear and obvious choice... move to Europe where they have removed the option to defend yourself.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Well when your number is up, your number is up. Your number can be presented to you in any number of ways.

Reply to
Leon