The U.S. Government Is Trying To Take Away Your Pocket Knives!

Page 6 of 8
Lew Hodgett wrote:

It's quite possibly going back this year into the same court.

So tell us how this "encapsulation" would work.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

This is mid June lad, Suter is history.

Engage brain before keypad.
Think about it.
Hint: Trident & Net v: Sword & Shield
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

So? Hint, Mr. 'Engage brain'--Souter voted _against_.

Hint--clear communication is not your strong suit.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Have some customers who might take exception, but regardless, this part of the thread has become a boar.
I'm out of here.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

It has become a male pig?

In other words you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

He'd swallow your gun.
J. Clarke wrote:

It seems the anti-gun crowd has recognized they won't get what they want in the foreseeable future. I heard Diane Feinstein say as much recently, they just don't have the votes in Congress because too many voters back home wouldn't take kindly to sweeping bans such as Feinstein is on record as supporting. So instead they're using the death of a thousand cuts method. E.g. if you can't outright ban guns then make it a pain in the ass to buy ammo; require training courses with difficult tests, permits, registration (all with steep fees); require inspections of home storage facilities and so on and so forth until owning a firearm is so much trouble many people just give up.
Similar tactics have been used in other countries, just keep raising the height of the hoops people have to jump through and eventually most of them won't try anymore. That's the sort of thing Washington DC was talking about doing right after the recent DC v. Heller decision. Many similar regulations have already been upheld by lower courts post-Heller, so those who figure Heller has changed the whole ballgame need to take a closer look. That decision will end total bans such as DC and Chicago have tried (with little effect on crime), but it won't result in many local, state and federal regulations and restrictions being scrapped. In fact, and perhaps ironically, the recent 9th Circuit decision that the 2nd Amendment does apply to state and local governments nonetheless upheld the right of a county to prohibit firearms (and thus a gun show) from county property. The Devil is in the details, and the Heller ruling doesn't mean your local govt. can't put *any* firearms restrictions or regulations in place.
I think some regulations make sense, safe storage laws for example. But when such laws are designed and enforced in such a way as to discourage firearms ownership rather than ensure public safety, well that's another story.
Doug Winterburn wrote:

I see you're posting from Arizona, a gun-friendly state (soon you'll be able to open-carry a pistol at the Grand Canyon!).
I invite you to visit the "tx.guns" newsgroup. By just lurking, you'll pick up a great deal of info about (mostly) handguns and the laws affecting them.
Don't ask "Which handgun is best for me?" The answers are like cures for hiccups! Your best bet is to visit an indoor range, rent several pistols, and try them out.
While carrying a pistol in a vehicle is legal in Texas, that might not be the case in other states. A better bet is to get an Arizona Concealed Handgun Permit. Here's a link to other states that honor AZ permits: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

You're using a Fsking Hollywood Movie to guide you in this?
Good luck in the afterlife...
--
Kiva - Loans that change lives.
http://www.kiva.org/lender/david87375440
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Hey! ... it's Hollywood "reality" doncha know!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

More believaable than NRA agitprop.

Another fable.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

OK, you're officially a loon of the same kind as the politician who said "The only physics I ever took was ex-lax" and the one who said "Everything I know about firearms i learned watching 'Miami Vice'.".
<plonk>
Han wrote:

Of course not, but please be wary of over-simplifying. As soon as you make it impossible for ordinary citizens to have a weapon, you will have created the social environment in which broken individuals blow themselves up in crowded places.
Life demands a certain minimum of courage.
Those who cannot muster that minimum are not made more secure by disempowering others - ever.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Morris, that doesn't scan. Many broken individuals are blowing themselves up in crowded social environments that are flooded with weapons.
--
Kiva - Loans that change lives.
http://www.kiva.org/lender/david87375440
Dave Balderstone wrote:

You're scanning backwards. It's not the guns or explosives that produce the causes, it's the social environment that produces the behaviors.
At the risk of over-generalizing, when too much freedom is removed, those who still have hope that something can be salvaged opt for the wherewithal to resist, and those who see no light at the end of their tunnel become willing make the "ultimate sacrifice"...
...not always explosively - one of the memories I'd most like to lose is of a Buddhist monk soaking himself with gasoline in the middle of a street and setting himself on fire.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Han wrote:

"/Be/ the change you wish to see in the world."
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

That's not what you said.

Yet many societies where it is trivial for citizens to be armed have "broken individuals" blowing themselves up in crowded places almost weekly.
Your statement above doesn't scan.

Well, religion makes people insane...
--
Kiva - Loans that change lives.
http://www.kiva.org/lender/david87375440
Dave Balderstone wrote:

It's what I meant to say, but I'm not much of a wordsmith. My apologies for causing confusion.

It does for me. Feel welcome to disregard if it doesn't make sense for you.

Hmm. Religion generally involves accepting something objectively unknowable as True. Insanity generally involves a significant individual deviation from the norm in the context of the individual's culture/society...
I think you'll need a /lot/ of bandwidth to convince me of an across-the-board cause-and-effect relationship between the two.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar