The saga of the wooden San Jose Schools BATHROOM PASS continues

Page 4 of 4
J Burns wrote:

That situation didn't last. Everyone was pissed off about it, and I'm sure that the school board heard from a lot of parents over it.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Agreed. Unless there is some contribution from everyone, an hour is a lot. At work, meetings generally last an hour, though design reviews can lass all day. There is a lot of participation, though. Neither are "lectures", by any stretch). When suppliers come in for classes, they take 15 minute breaks about every 45 minutes (time to stretch and check emails ;-). OTOH, we aren't required to check out a plunger to go to the rest room, either. In fact, attendance is rarely required.
"Bill" wrote:

Basic law of any instruction:
"The mind can absorb what the ass can endure".
Lew
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sat, 01 Nov 2014 08:59:41 -0400:

As a matter of fact, the teacher (who is brand new to teaching) asked me for advice on how to keep the kids *engaged* for the entire hour and forty five minutes.
She, knowing I'm good at googling, asked me to find some math games, and I also gave her a big bag of extra Halloween chocolate I had bought, which she is going to use to "reward" the kids when she catches them being good.
She also knows my strong feeling that math isn't taught correctly, which is a very long story, but the short of it is that math needs to be taught from the practical problem standpoint.
For example, I suggested she think from the perspective of two kids throwing rocks into a lake. What happens, mathematically. Or two kids trying to kick a soccer ball into a net, while clearing the height of the other kids. Things like that might keep the kids engaged, if, I suggested, she *start* a problem that the kids might be interested in, and then, working backwards, she bring in the math, and, in the end, the equation and graphs (and, ug, proofs).
I told her to think of all the math that applies to that problem (or any problem involving two kids trying to figure something out that two kids would want to figure out), and to teach that way. She told me that is a *lot* of work, and I did not disagree.
So, that might take years.
In the meantime, there are always the math games we found, which might help to exercise the kids' bodies, every 30 minutes, for a five-minute game.
J Burns wrote, on Sat, 01 Nov 2014 18:11:42 -0400:

I almost never had to go to gym, because I was on sports year round. So, I missed that experience.
However, if you've ever *smelled* the varsity locker room, you'll know the meaning of "gym socks" all too well!
John Grossbohlin wrote, on Sat, 01 Nov 2014 19:19:24 -0400:

Here's a quick four-sentence takeaway ... 1. Those classes were short, at only 1 hour and 15 minutes. 2. Students don't move about, once in class. 3. It's mostly lecture. 4. The kids are constantly chastised.
Bill wrote, on Sat, 01 Nov 2014 18:19:12 -0400:

I did help her create some worksheets, as she was unfamiliar with manipulating Microsoft Office to make graphs.
I ended up making tables, and it took a while to figure out how to make the boxes the same with and length, and then how to add the x and y axis, as I couldn't get the tables to "group" with the drawn axis even myself.
In the end, I gave up on Microsoft Word simply because I couldn't get the non-groupable items to move together, as a single unit, when text was changed.
So, I opted for PowerPoint, instead of Word, and made a few templates for her for her worksheets. She put the kids in groups, and they moved the chairs together (forcing them to stand up) and they worked together.
That gives the kids "some" exercise.
Danny D. wrote:

The kids can work in groups standing around the edge of the room, working together at the "board" for instance (you suggested this was a math class). Keep them out of their chairs!!! What do they need chairs for? Perhaps let them return to their chairs as a "reward" for finishing their work (but you do not wish to turn it into a race!) I think it works best if you arrange the groups to consist of students of balanced ability--otherwise the weakest and the strongest students seem to end up in the same group. The idea is for the strong students to help the weaker ones. BTDT.
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 17:17:07 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

things,

wish

suit?
Mikw Marlow: If you are so wise let's hear your solutions to each case where you kvetched. There are several, let's hear what you would have the teacher/school do.
?-/

you

kind

that

really

4

think

make

The

looking at

You

it

been on

making

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:52:10 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

It largely is/was since the 1970s. I saw it, i was there. About mid 2001 decade the parental rebellion about no schools for performance started to get results. So far only tokenism such as charter schools. Real reform won't happen until the teachers unions are broken. Which requires a society of responsibility for your actions. Not something to hold your breath for.
?-)
On Mon, 3 Nov 2014 23:15:45 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

understand

foolishness.

I post to suit me.
?-)