The Perils of Working For Friends

Page 7 of 7

Never Never Never Ever again I help a so called freind take off his roof resheet it and put on new roof did not charge him a dime just wanted some help from him when I put siding on my house . I got a big no from him when the time came to help me to bad for him were he worked at my cousion was his boss i got him fired
Mon, Aug 28, 2006, 1:42pm (EDT+5) snipped-for-privacy@news.homeimprovementbanter.com (woodpassion) doth lament: <snip> Said friends didn't even offer to buy my sandwich when they ordered out for lunch on several ocassions while I was slaving away in their basement. <snip>
It would be verry, very, tempting to work again, until they repeated that. Then say you were going to get something to eat. And never return. Then when they called, I'm sure they would, tell them you had other commitments - and never, ever, go back. Of course, it would be less tempting if you thought you might have to put in more than part of just one day for them to shaft you on lunch. I think if I could be quite sure I'd only expend part of one day I might well do just that. I'd make damn sure to take any of my tools and whatever when I left. Or, if you don't want to be patty about the whole thing you could always explain your feelings, then leave. I'm not sure which way Id go, but I'd be "extremely" tempted to go for petty.
Like someone else said, whenever my dad or his buddies needed work done, several would show up, work, and "always" be fed. They'd say they were working on something, several would show up if they were availbe, if not it was understood. One might be there one day, not the next. I've seen people working at our place while my dad was at work, they worked different shift. That's the way it was. And should be. Of course, there was always a lot of supervising, involving sitting down while someone else was actually working, and a lot of criticising of the work actually bing done. Then the roles would be reversed
Me, so far I've been able to do all I need by myself, or with my sons' "cheerful" assistance.
JOAT Justice was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:42:55 +0100, woodpassion
The only thing that made it worth tuning in to was the discussion on top/bottom posting.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
dot-.com says...

I thought it was a troll, after the OP just quietly disappeared.
However, I really enjoyed the different stories that came out, and to see different people's views on the topic. Never mind the [troll].
My own experiences are generally fantastic, with one sole exception where friends asked me to build them a two-seater, and we agreed that they would supply the timber and it would cost "350-450 in labour" -- they arrived with the cheque for 350 already written out. Duly noted and the next time they got charged full commercial rates for labour :) and I pay them full rates for the excellent salami they make.
-P.