The Perils of Working For Friends

BTW, for the fun of it, I counted the top posts and the bottom posts in this thread:

Top Posts: 5 Bottom Posts: 53

So I don't see how you can say it is an out of date practice... ;)

Reply to
Locutus

Frequency has nothing to do with efficacy nor modernity.

Reply to
LRod

Top posting would be ok if the majority of people top posted. But they don't, they bottom post. When you top post, when everyone else is bottom posting, it gets hard to follow a conversation. It's really as simple as that. It has nothing to do with efficacy nor modernity.

But I will stop bitching about it, since its a relatively small number of people to do it. And I can't complain too much when some top posters answer my stupid ass woodworking questions. :)

Reply to
Locutus

So now we have to top post to be "modern"?

This topic comes up almost as often as politics.

Top posting is like Jeopardy. Putting the answer first and the question second :-).

While it probably won't convince the "modernists", a good reference is:

that's ALL I'm going to say on the subject.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

damn, 52 people were whipped into submission???

Mac

mac davis

If you do a poll of people who say "PIN number" or "ATM machine" you'll get results even more skewed than that--probably something like

300:1. And all 300 of those on "popular" side are wrong.

Guess who's the 1?

Reply to
LRod

In IT, some of us have a similar issue with the phrase "NIC card".

todd

Reply to
todd

Well, that might be applicable if we were talking about PINs or ATMs or other acronyms, but we are not.

As I said before, even though there is a logical reason why people should bottom post, the MOST important thing is that everyone does it the same way (so conversation flows in the same direction, either or up or down (not up then down and then to the middle)). Its like driving on the right side of the road. Works great here, not so good in Europe.

My little unscientific poll clearly shows that majority of the poster in rec.woodworking bottom post, so you should too, otherwise you might cause an accident. ;)

I enjoy your posts and I know you are an intelligent person, so at this point I think you are just being stubborn and argumentative.

Reply to
TBM

Wow, I actually agree with Larry on something. :-)

... snip

Mark & Juanita

Agreed. :) Maybe I should start side posting. :)

Reply to
CW

Reply to
LRod

Reply to
alexy

Or "The suspect left the scene in a car that was red in color"

Reply to
alexy

Yabbut this is a religious issue, not a political one.

Reply to
Swingman

Boy I love these little tiffs by the techies. Personally, I post wherever the newsreader I am using positions the curser when I hit the reply button. Most folks can figure it out.

Dave Hall

BTW Agent apparently positi>>

Reply to
Dave Hall

Interesting. I guess it does. I never noticed that--just find it so easy and logical to scroll down to the comment I am replying to that I never noticed I was making such an effort.

Reply to
alexy

I tried that in one of these "discussions"... It was WAY too much work...

Question for the top OR bottom posting skirmishers:

Doesn't the way the last poster "posts" determine where you do?

In this case. CW top posted.... so I did, also to keep the thread of who said what, and in what order...

If he'd bottom posted, I would have followed him there...

Will I go to hell if I answer inline????

So many questions, so little time....

Mac

mac davis

Look again. You post is (quite logically, IMHO) below his.

Because he top posted, you couldn't do that, so had to delete the out-of order stuff below it to make sense. That deletion is probably desireable--you don't need the whole thread for context, just the portion to which you are replying.

I hope not. If so, I'll see you there...

Reply to
alexy

I'm reminded of an observation made by what I considered a wise man.

1) There are over a billion Chinese people on this earth.

2) Possibly 50-100 million of them have ever heard of this subject under discussion.

3) Possibly 10-25 million of them understand the subject under discussion.

4) Out of that group, what are the chances you can find 10,000 of them that give a F**K about the subject under discussion?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett