The Official Christmas Gift Gloat List

Page 2 of 2

I would like to see the Dewalt plunge saw & track review too. Dewalt is competing with Festool on this one and the price is high too. For me the easy decision would be Festool. Robb
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 06:11:36 -0800 (PST), Jay Pique

The bottom frames are rotted out on our garage doors. After probably 50 years who can complain. So I decided to build replacement frames. The garage is probably one good wind storm away from just lying down and giving up the ghost so new doors were not an option. I was thinking I "needed" a biscuit jointer for the project but finally decided to just dowel and gluel them together. I did the drilling for the dowels on a Bridgeport Mill, use what you got don't you know.
A day after I finished the drilling and gluing my wife presented me with a Ryobi Biscuit Jointer on Christmas day. Hmmm. What to do now. Swap if for something I am more likely to use or keep it for "just in case".
Actually it is an easy decision. I NEVER part with a tool.
Errol Groff
Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Technical High School Danielson, CT
http://neme-s.org /
Errol Groff
Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Technical High School Danielson, CT
http://neme-s.org /
Errol Groff wrote:

Except, of course, for a parting tool!

I got one of those as a gift, sold it to re-tool (yes, I know) because I "needed" the cash. Two weeks later I got a job that needed the tool.
I'm in your camp, now. :-)
--

-MIKE-

It seems that biscuit joiners are being phased out for the old electric low tech slot cutter in a router and put your biscuits or splines wherever you want them. I'm glad to have a good old Porter Cable biscuit jointer (alignment tool). The price of the Festool Domino is killing a friend of mine after I ewed and awed over his and then told him how Norm is doing it these days. (I guess Porter Cable isn't paying Norm enough to use his anymore.) Robb
Errol Groff wrote:

Is the AMT program moving to Brainard?
There's a huge, nice, new hangar being built at Brainard Airport, that I hear is going to be a State AMT school.
AFAIK, Ellis was _the_ CT Aviation Maintenance Tech school. I'm hearing rumors...

The first two moving vans left Ellis today. I am really going to miss having the aircraft shop just down the hall from my machine shop! They are going to miss being down the hall from us also. Just last week I machined from scratch some fairly intricate seat mounting brackets for them which are not available from any source.
Errol Groff
Errol Groff wrote:

Sounds like they'll miss you, too!
The guys who maintain my plane @ Windham Aircraft Repair are Ellis grads.

I got a Bosch PS30, a CD with Popular Woodworking years 2000-2007 in PDF format, and a Milwaukee 14.4 hammer drill (0617-24). If Bosch will come out with something like the Milwaukee Hackzall I'll be set for my birthday, too!
-Nathan