The new DeWalt Portable Planer

I just read an article in Wood magazine. It tested the Grizzly, Jet , and DeWalt portable planers. The DeWalt is the new one that has been talked about here. It looks more like the stationary style planer. Has 3 blades instead of the normal 2, and has 2 speeds. Like the new Delta, apparently the DeWalt produces a marginal advantage with using the slower planer speed as the fast speed is slow enough to begin with. It also has an automatic cutter head lock and apparently produces no snipe, none, zip, unless you are hogging off a lot of wood. The planer uses disposable blades. Apparently it quite loud and weighs almost 100 lbs. Oh yeah, its color is still Yella.
Now a question from me. I have been using a portable planer for about 15 years that uses HSS blades that can be resharpened. For those of you that have the disposable blades, how long do they last before having to buy a new set?

Looked pretty sweet. Out'a the box solution. Might just be my first portable planer purchase! They also mentioned they made some minor mods to the venerable 733 (3 blades) and call it the 734.
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:21:42 GMT, "Leon"

I have a 733, and I really can't imagine the results much better. A quick scrape or sanding with 150 grit and the planer evidence is gone. I can't wait to see some wood run though the new model.
An automatic cutter lock would be nice though. The 733's lock works great, but automatic would make the unit even faster to use.
Barry
in message

much faster and hog off wood in the 3/16" deep range and leave obvious scallops. The slower speed on those planers smooth out those ripples created on the fast speed. With the portable planers, the fast cut is slow and shallow by comparison in the fast speed on the stationary planers. Acutally the fast speed on the new portable is slower than some of the competitions single speed. Then add a nick to a blade and the slow speed is a totaly waste of time.
Add the 3rd blade however and you will artomatically get smoother cuts regardless of speed.
My portable planer has been aroun longer thant he cutter head locks. It would be good for me to get the automatic lock.
Believe it or not, the HSS steel ones on my planer have been sharpened 4 times since 1988. There was some light usage years in the beginning but in the last 7 years they have seen a much more wood. Granted mine are not always perfect but sharp enough to NOT make dust. I use mine for thicknessing and not for a finished surface.

92# according to Wood Magazine this month.