The Dewalt 735 Planer and me...

This is embarasing... but maybe my life can serve as a warning for others...

I finally convinced the wife that a planer would be a good thing, and that it would dramatically increase my ability to do fine woodworking (blah, blah... I just wanted a planer). She finally caved. So off to the big box store I went, and returned home with a brand new Dewalt 735 Planer. Man I love this thing. I lovingly crafted a base for it to sit on, so I could wheel it around the garage when I needed it. Then finally the moment of truth. To actually plane a board.

I grabed a peice of 4/4 cherry that I had left over from another project ran it through the jointer to flatten one side. Then switched on the planer. What a sound. My wife hear a new machine being turned on came out to see. I put the board in and proceed to spray chips out the garage door and into the street. That chip ejection system is powerfull! Now to me this is sheer beauty. No mess in the garage. But to the wife this is the reason our neighbours keep moving! Chips after all belong in the garbage.

Now remember I just bought a planer, so a proper dust collection system is completly out of the question for the time being and why should I pay for an $80 Dewalt chip system, when the dust collector is in the furture? Here is why.

So off to the store she goes, and returns shortly with 4' of 4" dryer hose. Seems reasonable... or so I thought. (I was still happy about the new tool purchase). I conect it to the back. Drop the other end into the garbage and put a board to wedge it in, and go back over to get my trusty 4/4 cherry board. My wife standing by the garbage can to watch the chips pile up nicly inside. Turn the thing on, and load the board... and all hell brakes loose. The hose pops out of the garbage, and starts flying around the garage, spreading chips over ever square inch of the shop.

No this would be good enough if it ended there. But as we know when you have air and chips running through a hose you get: an electrical charge. The wife seeing the hos eflying around the garage, making much more of a mess than I would normally make on my own, decides to grab it and point it into the can. Zap, zap, zap. Man did she look shocked! (ha ha). The best part is she hold onto it to keep it pointed into the garbage can. The chips by the way did not intend to stay in the garbage can, and were just blown out by the mega fan on the planer.

So yes. Before the start of the next project I am *required* to go ge an appropriate dust collection system. Life is great all because of a simple planer, some chips, and some static electricity.

Reply to
Buster

No video? You could sell enough copies to cover the cost of the DC.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'd buy it.

Reply to
wood_newbie

Look out Norm. There's a new kid on the block.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

"Buster" wrote in news:cF5_e.267233$Hk.221793@pd7tw1no:

Me too.

Me too.

Been there, done that... Also had it happen when the hose pops off the DC pipe.

I just upgraded to a Delat 50-850. That lil' fan on the DW735 has enough ooooomph to inflate the 30 micron bags on the DC.

Enjoy your new DC. :)

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

Well, you'll love having a DC.

Also, show the wife what lovely mulch a planer can provide for her flowers.

I mulch all my beds with planer shavings. Keeps plants warm in winter, too.

Reply to
Gus

On Tue 27 Sep 2005 11:33:28a, "Gus" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Hey, hold on a minnit there. I thought one had to be pretty careful about which wood chips you were putting on the plants cause some trees, like Walnut, were Bad Things to put on your soil. Do you worry about that?

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I would have loved to see that!

My experience was a little better, methinks. The first time I used it, I shot shavings all the way out to the street, and had to take the shop vac down there to clean it all up. Maple, Bolivian rosewood, and purpleheart were among the woods I planed that day. The shavings were quite colorful!

Ever since, whenever I use the planer, I attached the hose of my shop vac to its output port and turn that on before I turn on the planer. It actually works pretty well. But it's a pretty big & powerful shop vac. I think the DW735 might blow the top off of a small one!

I bought a cheap stand from Lowe's for it, but that didn't work too well. A couple of months ago Woodcraft had the stand sold by DeWalt for the DW735 on sale for $100, so I bought it. It came with wheels too. Last Saturday I took that cheapie stand apart & threw it in the trash. A $30 lesson in how not to do it.

Enjoy the '735! It's a great piece of machinery!

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

"Black walnut and allelopathy

Though grown primarily for its wood and nuts, black walnuts are often found growing on landscape sites where they serve primarily as shade trees. When certain other landscape plants are planted near or under this shade tree they tend to yellow, wilt, and die. This decline occurs because the walnut tree produces a non-toxic, colorless, chemical called hydrojuglone. Hydrojuglone is found in leaves, stems, fruit hulls, inner bark and roots. When exposed to air or soil compounds, hydrojuglone is oxidized into the allelochemical juglone, which is highly toxic.

Several related trees such as English walnut, hickories and pecan also produce juglone, but in smaller amounts compared to black walnut. Juglone is one of many plant-produced chemicals that can harm other plants in a process known as allelopathy. (Additional common landscape trees with allelopathic properties: sugar maple, tree-of-heaven, hackberries, southern waxmyrtle, American sycamore, cottonwood, black cherry, red oak, black locust, sassafrass, and American elm.)"

and

"Reducing allelopathic effects

  • Regularly clean up all fallen leaves and fruit from the black walnut tree, keeping debris away from desired landscape plants.
  • Compost plant debris to degrade any toxins present in the compost pile, and to detoxify the compost. If composting is impractical, do not use any part of the walnut tree as compost or mulch for other plants. "

See:

no(SPAM)vasys

maple tree growing out of a small hole in the crotch of the tree. Granted the maple has been growing there for at least 3 or 4 years and is still about the size of (or maybe smaller than) a 1 year old sapling, but it grew naturally from a seed that fell into a rotted spot on the walnut tree, and the walnut has yet to be able to kill the maple.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

Sounds like nature and it's indomitable spirit to survive.

Reply to
Upscale

Why not just lean a sheet of ply behind it or make a baffle -some sort of a box on the back end that directs the shavings into a corner or a bin of some sort?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I don't think you appreciate the force with which the DW735 ejects chips out of that chute. The street is about 35 feet from where the planer was standing, and some of the chips got there on the fly. Read the OP's description of what happened when he tried to wedge the 4" dryer hose in a trash barrel. I think that trying to use a sheet of plywood as a deflector would have a similar effect.

--Steve

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Oddly that what I settled for with the first little project. I've got piles of chips all ove rthe garage. The idea was I could deflect the chips into the corner of the garage, but essentially it went off the board, off the wall and ended up everywhere. The chip ejection fan is very powerful, the Dewalt system would probably work well...

Reply to
Buster