The final word on sharpening?

So what actually gets a hand plane blade the sharpest? Wet stones? Arkansas stones? Scary sharp system? Strop and compound?
Thanks,
Mike
Add pictures here
✖

Yes.
--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because it¹s the one thing I can think of that probably doesn¹t. ­

You.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Add pictures here
✖
"Michael" wrote in message
So what actually gets a hand plane blade the sharpest? Wet stones? Arkansas stones? Scary sharp system? Strop and compound? ========================================================================================================== All of the above. Take your pick.
Add pictures here
✖

Yep. Finish up with the stropping. It is the finest and final honing step.
All these methods work, you have to decide how you want to spend your money, and that is strongly influenced by the method that works best for you.
Some folks have over a grand tied up in a tormek with all the jigs and bells and whistles. Others use glass plates from the thrift store and 1/3 sheets of w/d sandpaper with a total cost of $5-10. Other folks like waterstones or oilstones. Depends on how your stick floats. They all work if you do your part.
Add pictures here
✖

That glass/paper idea is great. Mebbe scrap polished granite, as well, can get tons of it free at a granite place. Emory cloth comes, iirc, up to like 2400 grit, which ought to be like stropping.
--
EA

Add pictures here
✖

All of the above (or below) plus time and experience.
Add pictures here
✖
On Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:34:34 PM UTC-7, Michael wrote:

I moved to a Work Sharp system and it is fricking nice. Kind of like scary I guess from what I know. No muss, no fuss. You need to be pretty careful flattening backs (wish the had a better method) but adding, freshining, micro bevling edges all super easy. I think nothing of freshining an edge in the middle of using a tool. I would never think of that with using a stone system.
Add pictures here
✖

+1
--