that old cedar look

Can anybody give me hints at how to make cedar (or for that matter any wood) look like its been aged outside for a few years?
I'm trying to find a stain but it just does not look right.
I'm also curious how to create a weathered texture to the surface
william kossack wrote:

What do you envision the color of weathered cedar to be? The typical color I see is a silvery grey, which eventually darkens over the years. I've seen various brands of semi-transparent stains which can get a bit close to the silvery grey color.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Age it outside without a finish? Otherwise, you might have some luck with a thinned down pickled white finish, with a very small drip of black pigment (something like the drop you can collect on the end of a toothpick) mixed in to make it a little more gray. But I don't think stain is going to get you where you're going no matter what you do- best bet is to put it outside unfinished and bring it in for a clear coat when it gets to where you like it.

That one, I can help with- use a wire brush to scrub the surface along the direction of the grain. It'll put little grooves in the surface that are similar to the effect of untreated cedar left outside for a couple of years. Do this before treating if you want a natural weathered look, after paint or stain if you're looking for a distressed finish.
william kossack wrote:

Well, that depends on how big a hurry you're in, eh?
ISTR that hydrochloric (muriatic) acid will grey wood. If you Do a Google Search (DAGS) in this newsgroup you may find something.
You can use a wire-brush with the grain to erode it to get the weathered texture.
--

FF