Tale of an aging woodworker

This morning I was sawing out some rectangles of plywood and MDF. For measuring and marking I was using a 12 inch stainless rule. About the second cut the rule was hidden under the stock and now I have a 5 inch rule and a 7 incher.
I always wanted a 7 inch rule. They are really handy.
--
 GW Ross

 Why build a wall round a cemetery
Aren't you glad you weren't holding onto that piece while cutting it? Half your hand could have been under that stack.
Larry
On Friday, June 27, 2014 7:41:10 PM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:

On Friday, June 27, 2014 7:41:10 PM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:

Thanks for making my morning. I laughed my butt off a that one.
A couple of years ago I was trimming out a house and installing a lot of cr own molding. Picky at that stuff... so the more accurate the cut the bette r. It helps to have your pieces as close to final dimension as possible wh en positioning in the miter saw bed, so I cut the pieces from time to time with a circular saw to get them within a few inches.
I also use the circular saw to cut some pieces of wood to nail in behind th e molding as a substrate nail base as needed.
So I picked up the saw to cut a piece of curvy 6" wide molding and carefull y cut it for length, including the adjustment knob that was on the miter sa w stand. I thought I hit a knot or a glue spot, but nope... it was a 1/4" adjustment knob. That new Freud Diablo sawed right through the metal with no apparent damage to the blade. I was a little ticked off, but had other things to worry about. I was really surprised how easily the saw cut that threaded bolt, but was glad I didn't get any metal in my eyes.
About an hour later, I was sizing another piece and went to the other side of the table to get away from that damn knob stub. You guessed it... I did the same thing on the other side!
I can go years without doing something dumb like that, but then there are d ays I am not safe to be around. BTW, I think you will find your new "pocke t" ruler pretty handy! And at 7", no one will think it belongs to them.
Robert

LOL.
'Nother thing on the "aging woodworker" thang:
I know damned good and well that I did something very similar this past week, and was going to add a post about it to this thread ... but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was!?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

all of the through it, but the damage was done.
I decided to cut it down and make a "mini" framing square out of it. I made it with 16" and 12" legs, respectively sized like a real one.
I love it. I bet I pick it up more often than the real sized ones around the shop. If you don't have a mini square, and have extras, you should make yourself one.
--
Jim in NC

Well it's good to know you didn't cut your pecker off. You would remember that! <g>
--
Jim in NC

To keep those that are in from getting out!!
In article

Actually, people are just dieing to get in there!!

Be glad you weren't ripping.
I often use aluminum yardsticks for this and that. I once had need for one but a skinny one...NP, rip it with my RAS, something I had done at various times in the past. Well, this time I must have wiggled it a bit because the blade picked it up and wrapped it around itself, destroying multiple teeth in the process.
Unfortunately, it was one of my favorite blades...a Japanese blade, thinnest of the thin, with a kerf only slightly over 1/16. I didn't use it for much other than making thin slots but it sure was handy for that.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 6/27/2014 5:41 PM, G. Ross wrote:

not getting close enough to the blade. DAMHIKT.     mahalo,     jo4hn
On 6/27/2014 8:41 PM, G. Ross wrote:

I now have not one but two 46' almost extension cords, and two 4' almost extension cords after a friend used them with a hedge trimmer. Not so handy.
The same mistake can almost always be made twice.
--
pentapus

Oh, I've gotten *real* close to the blade with mine. :-( The JessEm is still whole, though.

Is that anything like a 12 inch pianist?
--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes
Dave Balderstone wrote:

--
 GW Ross

 Bore: A person who talks when you

I know that joke. Good one, too. Even if it is a bit of a groaner.
--
Jim in NC

Is SawStop using them in it's demonstrations now?

Not hardly! <g>
I'll give the joke a try. I may not get the thing all right, but I hope you get the premise.
Seems an Irish watering hole had a lepricon that would occasionally get pissed and start handing out free wishes, and word got around. You would go in one time, and see a talking dog, then another time, a guy that could play darts with his eyes closed and never hit anything but a bulzeye. All wishes granted by the lepricon.
One day a guy went in and saw a guy with a little little piano sitting up on the bar with a pianist only 12" tall playing away with a tip cup beside him. The guy that had just come in went up to the guy sitting with the little musician, and asked, wow, that's really neat! Did the lepricon grant you that wish?
The guy looked back at him and said, " Really? With a lepricon that could have granted me any wish for me that I wanted, and you think I asked for a 12" pianist on purpose?"
--
Jim in NC

On Sat, 5 Jul 2014 20:50:30 -0400, "Morgans"

Yeah, I was sorta indicating that I'd heard the joke. ;-)

Yeah, I hate it when I miss stuff. Now that I re read your comment, I could see that.
That is an old stock joke, for sure.
--
Jim in NC