Tablesaw Sled Hold Down Clamps?

Page 2 of 2
On 6/12/2011 3:43 PM, Jim Weisgram wrote:

HAND SAW! If I did that I would end up with a wavier line. ;~) The Festool track saw works great for this.

BBBandsaw, not HHHandsaw. I like the bandsaw because if I have a waney edge it is likely because it is a valuable board. And the bandsaw has a very thin kerf. But I have to say if I had a track saw I might use it in this application.
On 6/13/2011 7:51 PM, Jim Weisgram wrote:

OH! That's different. As Roseanna Anna Danna use'ta say.
I like the bandsaw because if I have a waney

I find that I could go straight from the track saw to glue up.

Roll your own from 6" lengths of scrap 1 x 2. Drill a 1/2" hole in the middle of each. Install over carriage bolts, with wing nuts to tighten. One end of the toggle/cleat/whatever you call it sits over your workpiece. The other end sits on top of a block of scrap, same thickness (or close to same thickness) as your workpiece.
Place a spring over the bolt to lift the toggle if you're doing mass production.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page !387&filter=t%2Dtrack%20hold%20down%2021912
http://www.carbideprocessors.com/products/Woodpeckers-HDCG%252dPIV-%252d-Hold-Down-Clamps -(Each).html
You're right about the toggle clamps. I made one years ago and it was a PITA moving the clamps around to accommodate varying width boards. Now I just tack a strip of hardboard/masonite to the board with carpet tacks. Carpet tacks have yet to break and leave a piece of steel in the board like brads can. And the hole is wedge shaped and usually heals nicely with a drop of water. Art
Andrew Barss wrote:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page !387&filter=t%2Dtrack%20hold%20down%2021912
http://www.carbideprocessors.com/products/Woodpeckers-HDCG%252dPIV-%252d-Hold-Down-Clamps -(Each).html
Personally - since I enjoy woodworking - I make my own out of wood.
1. Piece of hardwood maybe 1" x 1 1/4" x 8-9"
(a) 1/4" slot in above an inch or so long
(b) 1" semicircle cut out above slot center
2. split 1" dowel
(a) glue a piece under one or both ends of #1
(b) cut a piece to fit in the semicircle cut out and drill 1/4" hole in center.
3. Hook all together with a 1/4" carriage bolt, appropriately placed fender washers and a knob. The longer the bolt the thicker the stock it will hold down.
--

dadiOH