tablesaw router table

I am considering adding a router table extension to my Delta contractor saw and I am wondering who in the group has done this and what their expereince has been. The main reason I am considering this is to save space. I have done a little research and find that there are several models out there that seem to be very good. One of the questions that I have is should I go with the right or left side mount? I have a large table extension on the right side of my saw at this time. The table saw fence only clamps on the operator side. Don't know if that is a plus or minus. The router that I will be using is a PC 7539 with a Router Razer accessory.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tom Young
Tom,
I did it when I had my Delta CS and I did it again when I got my cabinet saw in order to save space in a very cramped shop. Consider placing it on the right side so that you can use your TS fence with it. I built an enclosure under the table and attached my DC to it (4" pipe) and a reducer to a 2-1/2" hose that goes up to the fence I built designed by Pat Warner (Routerman) www.patwarner.com
Bob S.

saw
expereince
that
with
Good advice Bob, the dust collection issue was one I had as well. I think we did about the same thing about it though and solved the problem fairly well. A simple box underneath did the trick. I wish I had sloped the inside of mine though to better channel the chips towards the hose connector.
Jim

saw
enclosure
2-1/2"
Cut a piece of ply or hardboard just a bit longer (1-2") than the width of the box and place it in at an angle - if you can.
Bob S.

saw
enclosure
2-1/2"
Can you elaborate you your dust collecting?
I have an enclosed box under my router table with a 4" line going to it. It works pretty good just like that, but I was thinking of running a 2.5" line from the box to the back of the fence; but questioned if I would get enough air flow through it to bother. But, I can't see that it much matters whether I put a T on the 4" line, or run it from the box.
Is that what you did, or am I misreading you? How did it work out?
Tom Young wrote...

I had (*) my router in the extension table, and liked it a lot. If you are worried about the table saw fence moving, you can simply clamp the other end once you have it adjusted.
(*) I recently removed my extension table and replaced it with the shaper. The router will be moved into the outfeed table, but I've been a little short of round TUITs lately...
Cheers!
Jim

Santa Claus bought me a Rockler router table top for my Jet contractor's saw last year. After much frustration trying to actually attach it to the saw I built a cabinet that simply sits in the space where the right extension table was. It is not actually connected to the saw.
It is a great space saver and allows me to use two major machines without having to move the dust collector around. The only downside is that I have to remove the router fence to do wide rip cuts on the table saw.
Dick Durbin

Putting a router in the right table of contractor saws is a popular choice.
My first extention eventually sagged under the weight of the router. So I built a new one with a truss like structure underneath to keep it flat.
First, I think the height is wrong. For me (at 5'11") having the router in the table saw top is too low. It seems to me you have to go to the far right end of your extension and mount the router in 12-14 inches from there. Do you have room to stand there? What about dust collection? How are you going to attach a fence for the router?
Personally, I would MUCH rather have the router table I built. It is a good height, has wheels, has storage for all the router related stuff, has a hose to connect to the dust collection at any of three points around the shop.
Woodchip

Also added a router table to extension. Used a Mast-r-lift and built box around router for dust collection. Be sure and add extra support since the router is so heavy. I originally built a fence to attach to ts fence but have since then built a fence using the plans out of American Woodwooker. Can find the mag right now but think it's was last years router issue. Either way works just depends on what you want.
RT

saw
expereince
that
with
Thanks guys great advice. You have given me lots to consider.
Tom

saw
expereince
that
with
Tom Young wrote:

> has been. The main reason I am considering this is to save space. I have
I've done it...and I can't wait to _undo_ it. The router table and the table saw are _by far_ the most used tool in my shop...having them share space is painful for me. I'll skimp on space everywhere and anywhere else...but I'm looking forward to having a standalone router table.

Sheet of plywood with formica worked for me.

right...simply build it into the existing table extension - though I would recommend reinforing the underside to prevent sag.
--
************************************
Chris Merrill
Chris Merrill wrote:

I did it on my Ridgid 2424... with the cast iron wings there wasn't a bit of sag. I really couldn't see any reason to ditch the left wing, so I didn't. I've got one of the Bench Dog units. Works great.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@BARFcarolina.rr.com
Dun it, love it, will do it again. Pics in (old) shop photos section at URL below.
Good luck Rob
--

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com