Table saw rust removal

Page 1 of 2

I read a few places that I need to sand with fine grit sandpaper and then use wax to protect the surface. Problem is that all the products I read about are not available in Canada. SC Johnson's Paste Wax and Butchers Paste Wax. Anyone in Canada can suggest a product I can use to protect the surface of my table saw?
Thanks,
Patrick
Didn't you post this a while back? Any woodworking store will have surface protector, as will any woodworking catalog. It just isn't that difficult.
Troller,
No, this is my first post. And I know it's not difficult. I wanted recommendations from people that have MUCH more experience then me.
Thanks for your comment even though you haven't helped.
Patrick

Those products are just ordinary paste floor wax. Any brand will do. I usually use an automobile spray wax. Jim

Bad idea... the silicone that's in many (not all) automobile waxes will cause fish-eye in many wood finishes. Yes, it *will* come off of the saw table onto your project.
--
Regards,
Try SLIPIT which is available from Grizzly. Comes in spray, liquid and brush-on paste. I use the past at the suggestion of a Grizzly rep and it works fine.

If you use automotive wax, make sure it does not have any silicon. Very bad on wood if you ever want to stain or seal.

I didn't realise that. It probably isn't all that hard to remove... Jim

Naptha, paper towels & elbow grease. Lots of each. Open the windows & doors. Burn the towels safely when done.
Patriarch
Check this link for the stuff that works pretty darn good. With what came in the box, some elbow grease, and a utility knife blade I restored a basketcase to near new condition.
http://empiremfg.com/products/otc/ts/index.html

Lee Valley has Topcote & Boeshield which I've seen recommended here on the wreck many times. Topcote: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p@952&cat=1,43415,43440&ap=1
Boeshield: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pP252&cat=1,43415,43440&ap=1
Crappy Tire also has pure Carnauba wax in their automobile finish area. That should also work. They might also have other products, but I think you know enough not to use anything with silicone in it as it can screw up wood finishing. So don't use turtle wax or other
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
Thanks Luigi, I went to Canadian Tire and asked the person working in the hardware section. This is what he told me. "We sell a silicone based product that protects and make the wood slide easier." He was surprised when I told him that silicone stains wood.
I will try Lee Valley even though they are in Ottawa. At least I won't have to deal with rediculous shipping from the US and the damn duties.
Thanks again and thanks to everyone that helped with my question.
Patrick

Slight correction - It doesn't stain wood. But the silicone reacts chemically to some finishes, causing "fish-eye" blotches (so I am told).
On 7 Sep 2005 00:57:13 GMT, Bruce Barnett

But it's ok to use on *finished* wood to make it slide better. Just don't expect new finish to stick on wood that's got silicone on it. But the carnauba wax is in the automobile cleaning section, along with turtle wax and all that.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
Canadian Tire usually has this stuff in stock, it claims it's pure
http://www.mothers.com/products/productcatalog/productpix/05701-05500.jpg
carnauba wax (which is what you should be using on your car too... and it's time to start thinking about winterizing it, starting with a good wax job)... I get the stuff in the can, not the bottle. It smells great too.

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 04:12:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net wrote:
[snip]

I usually wait until November or December to wax my car, it's too damn hot until then. Get out in the yard in my shorts and sandals and give it a good wash job first and then wax away.
Wes Stewart wrote:

I try to wash the truck every couple of years whether it needs it or not.     j4
That reminds me. I think it's that year for mine too.

have
What city are you in? Lee Valley has a number of stores situated in Canadian cities.

Before you try that get some automotive buffing compound (Dupont) and a husky automotive buffer and have at it. You will be surprised at what it will remove without scuffing table.
Then apply several coats of Johnson's paste floor wax and buff out each coat. Don't use same pad that was used with compound. RM~