Table Saw Question

Hi~ I am looking to buy a table saw. I found a new Table Saw Craftsman

24885 when I shopped in Sears last Sunday. It comes with up to 30 in. rip capacity with telescoping extensions, a powerful 15 amp, 5000 rpm motor, and a large cabinet stand for extra storage and dust collection. Do have any suggestion for this new saw? Thanks.

Introduction for Craftsman 24885:

wan.wanlin1028

Hi~ I am looking to buy a table saw. I found a new Table Saw Craftsman

24885 when I shopped in Sears last Sunday. It comes with up to 30 in. rip capacity with telescoping extensions, a powerful 15 amp, 5000 rpm motor, and a large cabinet stand for extra storage and dust collection. Do have any suggestion for this new saw? Thanks.

Introduction for Craftsman 24885:

wan.wanlin1028

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Look elsewhere. Most people here are less than satisfied (If I said dissatisfied, I'd have to say Many people) with Sears Power Tools quality.

If the saw's in the low price (less than $400) it's probably cheap junk that will work only ok. The contractors grade saws seem to be much better quality, but I've never used them.

Take a look at the alignment of the blade and splitter. They should be dead on, no skewed off to the side. My Craftsman saw is guilty of this, and for safety reasons I took off the blade guard.

Also, most Craftsman saws aren't easy to fit with Dado blades. Even if you don't think you'll do Dados now, you'll probably want to later.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If this were 1945-160 time frame, Sears was a good place to shop for home owner grade power tools.

But this is not 1945-160 time frame, and Sears is no longer a good place to shop for home owner grade power tools.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

one. Definately not top of the line, but it's a lot more saw for the $$$ than the Craftsman.

money is not the barrier, and you want the telescoping extensions in a portable saw, the DeWalt and Bosch Contractor's saws are both excellent. They cost a bit more, but they're nice tools.

Reply to
Prometheus

Sear + Kmart = ?

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

your local Lowes. I think they have the TS350 for $299. I paid $399 last year. Cast iron extensions and an induction motor. It works well for my limited shop space.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

It is pretty useless for woodworking. Might be okay for rough carpentry.

"Powerful 15 amp, 5000 rpm motor"?!?!

> WL

Reply to
Tim

Sir... slowly step away from the Sears Table Saw!

Seriously.. I purchased the exact table saw... took it back after a week. Went with a Delta 36-680, nice fence, cast extensions. $200 more, but worth every penny.

Complaints with the Sears saw...

1 - Arbor will only accomodate up to 1/2 dado set 2 - VERY noisy, vibrated horribly 3 - Aluminum fence hard to keep aligned. 4 - LOTS of slop in the mitre slot, making it almost impossible to get a 90 degree cut, unless you were aiming for 85 degrees ;)

> WL

Reply to
Mike Mac

Contrary to what you will hear on this ng, many Craftsman power tools are just fine, even their table saws. Not this one, though. For one thing, those table extensions have a reputation for failing to line up with the table.

For the same price, you can get a Ryobi BTS20R on a folding, rolling stand. Supposed to be a decent jobsite/benchtop type of saw. Its nearest competitors are Ridgid and Bosch jobsite saws costing twice as much or more.

I have a Delta TS220LS benchtop saw, which costs about $50 less, and am pretty happy with it. The rip capacity is on the small side, and the miter gage and throat insert are terrible. These can be worked around, but the Ryobi has none of these problems, to my knowledge.

These are not "real" table saws, but they're great for limited space and budget. I can toss mine around like a whiffle ball. A few shopmade jigs and mods, and I can do almost anything a big iron saw can do, just not in such luxury and comfort.

Reply to
boorite