Table Saw Question...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. As many people from the various nations throughout the New World consider themselves to be "Americans", some think the common usage of American to refer to only people from the United States should be avoided in international contexts where it might cause confusion. Some find the use of American to refer to only the United States offensive, as tending to disregard the existence of other American nations. Many in Latin America may consider it an insult if it is suggested that they are somehow less worthy of being called American than residents of the USA.
Add pictures here
βœ–

ROTFLMAO!
Anybody can add anything to Wikipedia. It's not exactly an authoritative source.

Many people who read and contribute to this group are citizens of Canada. Let's ask them: do you guys "consider [your]selves to be 'Americans'" or Canadians?

Yeah, right. Produce one. Find me a citizen of Mexico who gets pissed off when you call him a Mexican, and tells you he's an "American".
I'll not hold my breath while I wait.
--
Regards,
βœ–

Doing a quick google, the very first HIT shows a Canadian on my side. Read Greg's comments.
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archive/thread/1895-1.html

Hit number 2. Read #77. "I'm 100% Mexican"... " I am an American, even if I don't have papers. Why, everyone who comes through america from the north (Canada) or the south (Mexico) are Americans too! why? because america is not a country -- It's a continent." (I hope the link works): http://64.233.167.104/search?q Κche:00UTyD66ZKcJ:www.petitionspot.com/petitions/mexicantbeontelevision+mexicans+are+americans+too&hl=en
I don't care if you disagree with my interpretation or not, but to call me flat wrong is, well, flat wrong. If Mirriam Webster dictionary lists my interpretation ahead of yours, I'm not "flat wrong".
Add pictures here
βœ–

Garbage. Of course there's going to be some individuals that agree with you, but the majority of Canadians consider themselves exactly that, Canadian and they value their heritage as a Canadian society distinct from Americans. Would Americans call themselves Canadian? The name of the continent of North American has absolutely nothing to do with country pride.
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message

Hey - he just said "name one". :-P

If the "Americans" were from Canada they would.
The name of the continent of North

Pride had nothing to do with it. I'm just saying that, as the other fine Canadian pointed out, TECHNICALLY, Canadians are Americans, too.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I'm a Canadian; this is the first time anyone has called me an American. I suppose technically speaking everybody in North and South America is an American. Heck, I could call myself a Monctonian, but most of you don't know or care where Moncton (city) is. I could call myself a New Brunswicker (Province). I call myself a Canadian when I'm dealing with and international audience. I can't ever remember calling myself a North American.
We all know what it usually means in a debate when we start to say "technically speaking". It means our argument is flawed for 99.9% of the population, but we can still say we are right.
To date, when I have heard a news report about America or an American, my assumption has been the story is about The United States of America or a citizen. I don't think I have been wrong yet. Perhaps I just don't know I have been mistaken.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Nobody's saying you're mistaken. :-) I'm not saying that when someone says "American", that we should think "Oh, you mean 'an inhabitant of North or South America'", I'm just saying that if a Canadian (or Mexican, or Argentinian) says something derogatory about "Americans", then technically (yes technically) he/she is insulting himself/herself. And I find that funny. And that's not meant to be derogatory to Canadians (or Mexicans, or Argentinians) ------- Jerry (an "American" who enjoys visiting Canada, and watching channel 31 from Toronto)
Add pictures here
βœ–
HI Jerry, my intention was to just let this drop, but I wanted to address your last comment. Not because I have an overwhelming desire to be right, but to clarify.
I was not and am not offended and did not find it derogatory. I know many Americans and I work with many Americans. I have no issue; in fact have not noticed any difference between them and any other person I have met. Sure, there are people that see a stereotypical American around every corner. The same could be said about people seeing stereotypical Canadians, eh.
My point was; it is simply a flawed response. It's kind of like the "I'm rubber and you're glue..." response to an insult. "Oh yea...Well you're an American too." Contrary to what is portrayed on some US newscasts. I'm proud of my American neighbours. I don't always understand the politics, but I don't have to.
------ Sean ( A Canadian who watches way to much TV and all of the good stuff comes from the US)
Add pictures here
βœ–
mrcomp_ca expostulated:
| HI Jerry, my intention was to just let this drop, but I wanted to | address your last comment. Not because I have an overwhelming | desire to be right, but to clarify.
Good comment. Communication does seem to go to hell when being right becomes more important than being accurate....
| I was not and am not offended and did not find it derogatory. I know | many Americans and I work with many Americans. I have no issue; in | fact have not noticed any difference between them and any other | person I have met. Sure, there are people that see a stereotypical | American around every corner. The same could be said about people | seeing stereotypical Canadians, eh.
Most people on both sides of the border (any border) aren't very visible - and, by and large, the visible ones tend to be non-typical (else why would anyone notice them?)
| I'm proud of my American neighbours. I don't | always understand the politics, but I don't have to.
Works both ways. On a visit to France a while back I was asked a couple of times if I was Canadian - and felt complimented (and was still no less proud to be an American.)
FWIW, I don't always understand our politics either - but then it would seem that (especially) politicians aren't always rational.
βœ–
Morris Dovey wrote:

Oh, no. The politicians are rational. But their deviousness is so convoluted, understanding is difficult, or at least requires the same somewhat odd twists of thought they, and their handlers, use. But, rationally, they want to get elected. Of course, that doesn't apply to clowns like Ralph Nader, who want to keep others from getting elected.
Add pictures here
βœ–

An excellent point that has application in many, many areas.
--
Regards,
βœ–
mrcomp_ca wrote:

Well, I live in Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada, North America. So I can lay claim to being a North American. Usage has the nomen American to refer to the inhabitants of the country below us, the Exited States of America. <grinning, ducking and running>
I think of myself as being a Canadian. Not a North American and certainly not an American.
--
Cheers,
Rob

Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm a Canadian. I'm not an American, and have never played one on television. Some of my best friends, OTOH, are Americans. I have a couple of friends who are Chileans, and Peruvians. They are not Americans, either.
This "we're all Americans" canard is so very old and tired. Let's put it on an ice flow and wave goodbye.
βœ–

But, as much as you may not like to admit it, is technically true.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Maybe, but if you visit another country, and someone asks where you are from, WHAT do you say?
"United States" - That's technically wrong. "American" - That's technically wrong
And if you say "I'm from the United States of America" or "US of A" you sound like a dork.
p.s. If you say "I'm from New York (or whatever)" - that's cheating.
A mathematician and an engineer were arguing over how to ...
βœ–
"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message

Texas ... and nothing more need be said.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05
Bruce Barnett wrote:

When we were in France last year for 3 weeks, we said, "California."
:^)
It was also the logical answer from the point-of-view that most of our time there was in the wine regions (intentionally), and it got the conversation going (as much as it could w/ our broken French and their broken English) in the viticultural / eonological direction.
-Chris
Add pictures here
βœ–
It's "technically true" that a Blue Jay has no blue pigment in its feathers. Who gives a flying fuck?
Plonk.
βœ–
Dave Balderstone wrote:

IIRC Golden Eagles.
--

FF

Add pictures here
βœ–
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Ah yes, the Canadian Nation Identity (tm): "We're not American, eh!" :-)
--
Cheers,
Rob

Add pictures here