Table saw-> disc sander conversion question

I have read most of the messages about converting a (belt-driven) table saw to a disc sander. I have an older saw collecting dust in the corner (it's worthless as a table saw) and am considering one of the sanding discs for infrequent use. I expect it to ruin the saw or arbor bearing over time. I could care less.

The thing I am not clear on is RPM. My motor turns at 3450. The grizzly disc sander says it turns at 3450.

What should the disc spin at? It's just a pulley choice. The messages about the saw turning too fast and burning up wood don't seem clear. I assume this is because people are using the same pulley ratio as they were with the saw blade, which is faster than 3450?

Reply to
robdew

| I have read most of the messages about converting a (belt-driven) | table saw to a disc sander. I have an older saw collecting dust in | the corner (it's worthless as a table saw) and am considering one | of the sanding discs for infrequent use. I expect it to ruin the | saw or arbor bearing over time. I could care less. | | The thing I am not clear on is RPM. My motor turns at 3450. The | grizzly disc sander says it turns at 3450. | | What should the disc spin at? It's just a pulley choice. The | messages about the saw turning too fast and burning up wood don't | seem clear. I assume this is because people are using the same | pulley ratio as they were with the saw blade, which is faster than | 3450?

Saw speed works for me. I did burn some oak on the first try; but a little care goes a long way toward eliminating that problem. Worry about the pulley ratio if/when you decide the speed is actually a problem.

Morris Dovey

Yep, what you said. Just take care and regulate your pressure and you should be cooking with gas :) John

Reply to
John B

How do you get a saw to collect dust? People spend a lot of money on other machines to do that - my saws just seems to produce dust.

Reply to
Andy

You can slow down the burn rate and or surface speed by simply sanding closer to the center of the disk rather than the outer edge.

Reply to
Leon