Table saw blade holder

My Jet Contractor's saw does not have a flat on the blade shaft. To hold the blade while tightening or loosening I have the following shop made tool:
Take a 1 x 4 about 17 inches long. Place two 8 x 1" round head brass wood screws 3/4 " from one edge of the board, 4 inches from each end, leaving enough shank exposed to slip into a slot on the blade.
It is used by holding along the blade with the screw in a slot on the side of blade that would be forced downward by loosening the blade. When tightening slide the board so that the other screw holds the downward force on the blade.
Drill a hole in one end to hang it by and Bob's your uncle.
--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

One of the woodworking mags I read a while back suggested using a clamp like a Quick-Grip to clamp onto the blade. The clamp is trapped by the opening.
todd

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:15:52 -0600, "todd"

I've used that technique with good results. When the blade gets tight enough, the clamp slips.
I have since moved to the leather glove technique. I just like it better, but can't really explain why <G>
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Real men do it without a glove.
For years I had used a wood block jammed against the teeth to hold the blade. This puts stress on a single tooth, but never saw any problem. The screw is not against a tooth, but in the slot between groups of teeth. But point well taken, I won't forget my umbrella.
Bob Davis wrote:

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA