Suggestions : Mid priced HVLP - $200-400?

Hi All, I have been reading some posts about HVLP spraying and am looking for a good mid-priced unit in the 2-4 bills range. It will primarily be used for shellac/poly/etc type finishes.
Please post any suggestions of units you like in this price range, and also any specs or features to look for (or stay away from). Info would be much appreciated.
So far, all I have looked at in the store is a low-end CH model. They display on the box mostly painting faux finishes on interior walls. Another question : have you used an HVLP for painting indoors, and how clean is it? Is it really feasible or is there too much overspray?
Thanks in advance all! Rob robandkaren.webhop.org/woodworking.htm
On 7 Jan 2004 06:43:56 -0800, rob snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (rob) wrote:

http://www.compliantspraysystems.com/accusprayfinishingequipment/accuspray_finishing_equipment.htm aka http://tinyurl.com/yt9kl

I've been considering one too. I'm thinking about the $99 unit that was in the latest rockler catalogue. I do most of my finishes by hand but there are always those times I'm in a hurry for a customer and need to finish fast! SH
Supposedly, the HVLP system at HF is the same as the one at Rockler but $30 cheaper. Greg

$30 cheaper.
Where is HF? I'm on it! SH
Just a note - I have the CH one from the borg (about 129 on sale if I remember) It works great for any clear type finish - just get the consistency right.
I also bought the laytex tip for it - just spayed a whole cabinet unit white w/ it. It Kicked ass.
Just my .02 cents.
_Rob

Ditto. Have the same CH and it works fine for what I do ... spray shellac mostly. Just wished it had a plastic cup, as the shellac, alcohol and aluminum mix doesn't like to sit very long between coats.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04
Swingman said:

Can you not get liners for the cups? Just curious.
Greg G.
<Greg G.> wrote in message

Didn't know there was such a thing for the CH ... I'll check out their site. Thanks!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04
Swingman said:

I don't actually know if they are made for the CH, but they are available for other brands - hope I didn't send you on a wild goose chase. But perhaps you could adapt/use one of the other brands liners? Really desperate? Coat the inside of the cup with a lacquer or saran wrap?
Greg G.
Hi Rob, Spraying latex paint with a turbine driven HVLP is a slow process. When you price a unit make sure you also price additional needle/nozzle, air cap combinations. Their cost can be significant and if you don't have then your choice of finishes will be limited. Cheers, JG