Suggestions for cuting board finish?

Page 3 of 4

Yep, it is true.
There was a big deal about it when the research first came about. This is exactly the type of thing that the local television stations run with. So we were abused with about a hundred stories on this topic awhile back.
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

It boils down to who you want to believe, and apparently, the type of "bacteria":
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infcuttingboard.html
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1745-4565.1994.tb00591.x?journalCode=jfs
Last week coffee was bad for you, this week, according to published reports, it is good for you ... same with red wine, red meat, olive oil, eggs ... you ain't getting out of here alive in any event, so enjoy.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/17/07

Yep.. My grandfather ate, drank and smoked all the stuff that's bad for you now.. and died at a very cranky 108.. My folks said that he was just too mean to die..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"mac davis" wrote in message

My paternal grandfather smoked, and inhaled, Prince Albert pipe tobacco in a pipe, for almost 80 years. The doctors made him quit at 96, and he only lived another 3 years after that. My Dad claims it was the aggravation of having to quit, and not the smoking, that finally got to him.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/17/07

Russian)
Isn't that what we all want?
"George" wrote:
> Russians say "One who neither smokes nor drinks dies healthy." (Rhymes in

Three Jolly Coachmen, courtesy of the Kingston Trio. (Repeat lines deleted)
...now here's to the man who goes to bed quite mellow, he goes to bed quite mellow.
...now here's to the man who goes to bed quite sober, he'll die before October.
...now here's to the lass who steals a kiss, and runs to tell her mother,
She's a foolish, foolish thing, for she'll nare get another.
...now here's to the lass who steals a kiss, and stays to steal another,
She's a boon to all mankind, for she'll soon be a mother.
man who goes to bed quite mellow, he goes to bed quite mellow.

Hmmm... He WAS Russian..lol He drank his home made wine and smoked those evil black cigars all his life... Spent most of his life as a cooper so he made barrels at home, too..
He actually complained to neighbors when the family wouldn't let him buy a power lawn mower... at 97 years old..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Heartless bastards. At 97 I can see where he might be getting decrepit enough to need it.
--John

neighbors with it..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:23:56 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Surprised me too. I'm only sure I read some of the studies and what they concluded. The bacteria didn't reproduce or multply or whatever bacteria do on the wooden boards. Maybe something to do with the ph or tanic acid or something. I can't remember why just that it was reported as so.
Frank

I prefer wooden boards too.
However, I dropped one the other day and it split at a glue joint that had widened over the years to show a crack.
I sure didn't like the look of what was growing in there... I have a large maple one (about 20 years old - it was a wedding present) that I'm going to re-rip and re-glue as it's starting to open up at the joints.
http://improve-usenet.org /

it, just needs it resurfaced..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Because the scrap dishwasher I was discarding had a top made of maple that was just right to make into cutting boards. I had a large HDPE cutting board I made 15 years ago, and another that my wife bought that was too small. I wanted an inbetween one, so I made it out of the scrap wood. Now all the relatives are asking for copies.
- Owen -
If these are being used as cutting boards in the kitchen where they chop food directly on the surface, then 1. They should not have any "shiny finish" or any finish at all. 2. The local authorities will likely have a pescribed cleaning and application requirment.
I think you should be safe buying the mineral oil mixture (with other ingredients) from Boos company. They are one of the few companies with the NFS certification which is required for wood surface materials with direct food contact and their stuff is surely approved.
If they are cuttin board like counters, then spray them with anything you've got.

Hmm... Being in Mexico, all the local authorities care about is getting their "taxes"... I doubt that there IS a sanitary code here..

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

We had to have a week of duty in the kitchen (ok, mess halls), and I was in a station that had a very large butcher block. The end-of-day routine for it was to simply wash it down (plain water if I remember correctly), and then cover it with about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of salt. If a butcher block can take the abuse of hundreds of Coast Guard recruits preparing tens of thousands of meals, it should handle a restaurant too.
Wayne

I haven't seen anyone else in this thread mention this, so here goes ...
I've made a number of cutting boards, for personal use and as gifts, and I've finished all of them with Watco Butcher Block Oil & Finish[1]. I've just followed the instructions on the can, especially where it concerns final dry time before being used for food preparation, and I've had good results.

I'm not sure where you could get Watco stuff locally in Mexico or on-line. I'm in Texas and get it locally from Lowe's.
[1]: http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_idu7&SBL=1

remove ".invalid".
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:44:22 -0500, "Michael Faurot"

We do a shopping trip to Calexico or Yuma once a month or so.. No one has HEARD of Danish Oil here and I use a lot of it on my turnings, so I stock up when we go..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

==Mac, You can do several things with the boards. - plane it (resurface it), so it is flat again. - if it will be used for decorations, any high gloss finish will do, - if it will be used on a daily basis in the kitchen, a good coating of mineral oil will kill off any bacteria that may want to establish residence in the board's cuts. After letting the oil soak for several hours, wipe off any excess with a paper towel or kitchen towel. Repeat the mineral oil application once a week if it is used on a daily basis (you mentioned a restaurant, that would mean daily). If for home use you can get by with a monthly application, but more often if you are paranoid about bacteria, salmonella and that kind of stuff. I have several cutting boards and they get the mineral oil treatment once a month if they need it or not. Do not wash with soap and water, plain warm water will do, the soap will wash away the mineral oil.
My two centavos.
Ray Austin, TX ==

HUH? We kill bacteria by putting salt out to draw the water from their cytoplasm or emulsifying their cell walls with detergent. If you remember your Biology, the lipid bilayer cell walls are hydrophobic, and would love the company of oil to hide them from the things that would lyse them.