Sub freezing temps and shop supplies

I have a shop and a paint room that I don't usually keep under climate control other than being attached to the house.

So, what to bring in, and what to leave out?

So far, I've brought in all the latex paints, and glues, and left out pretty much everything else. The anticipated low looks to be around 5F. I have the usual collection of odd products, is there something in there that may need to be brought in?

I don't know, I can't see from here... :)

If it's not water-based, probably ok.

Reply to
dpb

You may have problems with some waxes and like formulations. If the are emulsions, low temperatures may cause them to separate.

Some solvents never seem to be the same if they are exposed to low temperatures

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

My shop just spent its first winter in an attached garage after we moved. So far the temperature has never gotten below freezing, even though the outdoor temperatures have been down to the single digits.

Put a thermometer in your shop and check it every morning - you might not have to worry.

In my old detached shop I brought in anything water based and all the spray cans.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I bring in anything liquid or paste like epoxy. I have left out spray lubricants but never tried using them when below freezing

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

ANYTHING water based, bring it in. Anything else you value and have room for - bring it in. Lubricants (oils) and pure solvents are not a problem. Any emulsion and many mixes can be. Rather safe than sorry. Don't leave resins where they can freeze.

Reply to
clare

Not directly related to shop supplies but possbly of interest; I recently discovered that leaving a laptop in a car overnight exposed to single-digit F temperatures, it would not boot when brought inside until it had warmed up about 20 minutes or so.

Reply to
Larry W

I just check the specification for my Toshiba C55-A5204

Operating Non-operating Temperature 5° to 35° C -20° to 60° C Thermal Gradient 15° C per hour (max) 20° C per hour (max) Relative Humidity 20% to 90% 10% to 95% (non-condensing)

Altitude 0 to 10,000 meters 0 to 40,000 meters (relative to sea level)

It is something we do not think about when we think about cold temperatures

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

TOO cold can permanenty damage some LCD screens.

Reply to
clare

----------------------------------------------------------- Anything liquid except gasoline.

BTDT, don't want to see the movie again.

BTW, it's -9F in Cleveland and 79F outside my window as this is written.

Stay warm people.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It's -9F here in Indianapolis too. -30F wind chill, but I'll be staying put. Most schools around are closed today and tomorrow.

Reply to
Bill

Brrr.. just went to take the garbage and recycling out. Wind is howling about 25 mph right now..... we're a balmy 7f here, so I can't complain.

Almost took another fall on the ice, the other day my dog and I fell off the steps in the back I could see some of the ice, but where I stepped looked dry... the look on his face.., I am sure he said the look on my face too.. as we both slid down looking at each other. I think it hurt me more than him.

Reply to
woodchucker

The soft southerners would freeze to death on the way to school bundled up in a jacket and ball-cap.

Reply to
clare

-------------------------------------------------------- "Mike Marlow" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------- Think about it.

I'm sure you will figure it out.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:lafpkn$rbr$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It's not the cold but probably the wind and blowing snow. Clearing our drive wasn't too bad, but as soon as I got to the neighbor's the wind and blowing snow made things uncomfortable and possibly dangerous quickly.

Tonight, I spent an hour and a half clearing the ice rink in -8F temperatures. The wind has died down quite a bit, so it's much more comfortable out there.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

It's currently 9F here in Atlanta. Howling wind. Mixed closings.

A few years ago, the threat of snow closed the city 3 days in a row, no snow ever fell.

With that said,I'm at least looking forward to a sunny day tomorrow, something that has been in short supply.

Much construction in the old south was not built with cold weather in mind. If you have no insulation in the walls, piling it up in the attic won't help much.

Jeff

No insulation in the walls must be old construction.. even down south insulation is added to keep it cool in the heat. insulation in the attic is to keep the heat from the roof from getting into the house. The attic cooks...

Reply to
woodchucker

I think fiberglass, which was invented in '38, was the first practical cavity insulation. Before that, usually wall insulation depended on some fibre board and whatever R value the siding and cavity had. R3 was lucky. At least the houses I've seen here that date from even the 60's and 70's have nothing but sheet insulation under the siding. We are a few decades behind the north in insulation, not so with AC.

Housing here is either mostly old poorly insulated houses (unless retro fitted). Or late model condos and apartments, which are tight, but not for people who do things like woodworking. Or they are McMansions (or Mansions) which are so big and bloated as to be energy hogs.

It's taken me a while to tighten up my '29 home. Almost there...

Jeff

I remember falling on the ice while carrying a TV set, fortunately it was way back in my younger days when I could more easily react to a situation like that. I was able to sort of fall straight down onto my ass and put the television on my lap to keep it from being damaged. Then I slid on my butt, with the TC on my lap, down the somewhat inclined sidewalk about 20 yards or so. The young lady I was helping saw the whole thing and she was laughing her head off.

Reply to
Larry W

Just south of Atlanta..it was so cold here it was 12 at midnight. tired ol d joke. Am seeing a new house go up and the insulation work is pretty inter esting. Single level home on a 3 ft crawlspace. Spray foam on the walls of the crawlspace, plastic over the dirt, nothing underneath the flooring. Ins ide walls and inside of roof all sprayed, all wiring, plumbing holes in flo or and wall foamed. Insulation guy says they don't need insulation over the ceiling and under the floor because any outside temp change is accounted f or underneath the roof and on the walls of the crawlspace. I guess time wil l tell but that is a long way from fiberglass or rockwool in the attic and under the floor. I know it is a lot more expensive initially but supposed t o recoup through lower energy bills.

Reply to
BillinGA