Stupid Workshop Accidents

I doubt that anyone else will run into this "hazard" but just in case...
I'd been waiting for a sale on the Jet Air Filtration unit at the local Menards for quite a while. It finally went on sale for about $189 so I bought it. Somehow I managed to get my wife to help me install it in my shops ceiling. The plan was for me to lift it up and hold it against the ceiling while she drove the screws into the ceiling. As I lifted it above my head and was positioning it over the predrilled holes in the ceiling the electrical cord slipped off the top of the unit where I had laid it and before I knew what was happening or could move (not that I could move very far or very fast while holding this beast over my head) it poked me right in the eye. The result was a trip to the emergency room (these kind of things only happen on weekends) and about 6 trips to the eye doctor. The doctor bills cost me about $300 out of pocket. So much for waiting for a good sale. I still enjoy my $500 air filter though. The funny thing is that I'm religious about putting on my safety glasses when I use power tools. I never expected this though. Now that you know, you can keep an eye out for this hazard (pun intended).
Kevin
In rec.woodworking

Believe it or not, I once saw a e eye injury caused by putting on safety glasses. The earpiece poked the guys eye while putting them on. He bruised his eyeball and it had one of those little plastic burrs on the end of the glasses from the moulding process that scratched his cornea.

Hi all
I once knew a copier repair guy who got his cornea scratched by a stripper's pastie at his bachalor party the night before his wedding. His mother in law to be was the ER nurse at the hospital that we took him to. His wedding photos all have him with a huge bandage and eye patch. We got him a sword and a fake parrot for his reciption. Mom in Law was happy to explain to all that he was being punished for putting his face somewhere that it should not have been.
Chef

mine in Goose Creek South Carolina was teaching a hunter safety course on the Naval Weapons Station a few decades ago, following the class he was walking out of the building, across a parking lot when he tripped on a log that defined the edge of the lot... you guessed it, the barrel of his rifle poked him between his nose and eyeball, causing a severe "scratch" on his eye. He survived, and was even asked to come back and trach the course again...
Jack
"Bruce" wrote in message

Sounds like something I'd do. Got 13 stitches that classified as a "table saw injury" at the emergency room, even though the blade was off and the saw wasn't plugged in ... I was installing an overarm blade guard.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce) wrote:

A couple months ago I got a hand injury putting away my safety glasses. The company I work for installed little lockers like post office boxes to store safety glasses in. End of day, reached in to put glasses in and sliced the heck of the back of my thumb on a sharp sheared edge of locker.
Wes