Stupid Tool Gloat

Hey all:

Went to Sears today to return a defective workout machine my wife had. Dinna need it anyway as she found a local gym where she goes now, no harm, no foul.

They would not refund to credit card as it was over 1 year, but gave me a store credit for the full amount. Great!

Sooo while my wife was shopping elsewhere, I manage to stuff a few stupid tools into my cart...

  1. 18" Craftsman Scroll Saw (with lamp and laser)

  1. Dovetail guide for my router

  2. A really nice Drill Guide

  1. A plastic square. I have now idea why I bought it but it looked really cool...

All impulse buys... Spent about 10% of the return...

Damn my own eyes!!!

Freddie

Reply to
Phred

So out of curiosity, what does that laser do for you on a scroll saw?

Reply to
Prometheus

I have $500 of Sears gift cards that expire in May. So far I haven't found anything to buy there; but I suppose in April I will settle for something.

Reply to
Toller

"Toller" wrote in news:Wwuxh.2030$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

*snip*

Sears has a clothing section for those who don't want their (questionable quality) tools. ;-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If you're not in a hurry, you might check the laws in your state. Here in Illinois, by law, gift cards do not expire, no matter what the retailer says.

todd

Reply to
todd

I think it was "Toller" who stated:

Interesting that this thread should come up today. I actually got to use a Sears tool that I'd recommend. I picked up a Sears EasyFire(tm)

gun several months ago 'cause it was cheap (on clearance at a grocery store(??)), it intrigued me, and I wanted to have another stapler handy so I wouldn't have to go out to my Man Garage whenever I needed one.

Today I used it for the first time, for putting some upholstery fabric on some chair seats. It felt kind of cheap in my hand and while it was stapling, and it wouldn't reset itself for the next staple very well unless I wiggled it a bit, but darned if it wasn't a LOT easier to place a staple where I wanted it and not leave any staples standing proud the way my old Swingline staple gun will sometimes do. It left my hand feeling a lot less tired too (about 350-400 staples!).

OK, that wasn't a resounding recommendation, but it is a better tool than I was expecting for the price . . . .

-Don

-- The things that come to those that wait are the things left by those who got there first

Reply to
Don Fearn

they do (did?) carry a version of a nice little close quarters drill made by I think metabo. Sears item #00927996000 Mfr. model #27996.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Sun, Feb 4, 2007, 4:26pm snipped-for-privacy@nospamplease.com (Phred) doth clameth: Hey all: Went to Sears

Warm fuzzy, yes. Gload, no.

JOAT Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.

- Johann Von Schiller

Reply to
J T

"Toller" wrote in news:Wwuxh.2030$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Clothing for the kids?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

They've got some nice looking rolling toolboxes....

Reply to
Prometheus

See if they can special order you something decent--there's a lot of stuff they can get you that's not in the store. And remember that many of their "professional" tools are rebadged brand names.

If there's nothing in the tools then you might want to consider putting it toward an appliance of some sort. And there's always clothing--Levis is Levis no matter where you get them.

Or consider useful nitpick stuff that you wouldn't otherwise have gotten--every time I walk into Sears I see some under-$50 item that I can tell would be useful or nice to have but don't want badly enough to part with under-50 bucks.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Tires. Sears carries name brands.

Sears Hardware stores used to carry Dewalt, Milwaukee in the Houston area. Many of these have since closed, so don't know if that helps.

Reply to
Roy

Help you find the switch?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:xFKxh.4211$_d4.2815 @trndny05:

It's an "aeromatic" feature. The laser is just hot enough to make the wood smolder, and that releases a pleasant (for Pine and Cedar at least) aroma.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Prometheus :

It shows the line where the saw wön't cut.

SCNR

Rejnold

Reply to
Rejnold Byzio

Prometheus :

It shows the line where the saw won't cut.

SCNR

Rejnold

Reply to
Rejnold Byzio