Stripper Darkens Wood?

I've been stripping some bar-top epoxy coating from some mahogany, in order to re-use the wood, and I noticed that the stripper seems to be darkening the wood quite a bit. The wood was ammonia fumed, shellaced with dewaxed ruddy amber from shellac.net, then coated with the epoxy. The stripper is Bix Tuff-Job in the white can with black markings, for stripping marine epoxy. I'm wondering if it's a reaction with the shellac or epoxy, or if it's darkening the wood like the ammonia does. It's much darker than the shellac is. Might be a heads-up for anyone that's planning on using this stuff on mahogany. I like the color better than the shellac, but I know it might ruin a project if you make a mistake and have to strip part of the finish off, which might change the color of the wood in that area. Anyone else experienced something like this with other chemical strippers?

Reply to
Xane "MegaWolf" T.