Sticky finish problem

I built a white oak dinning table that I finished with water-based poly. The surface of the table is extremely tacky now. I'm theorizing that the water-based finish does not respond well to being cleaned. Does anyone have any suggestions. At this point, I'm planning on sanding down the table and refinishing with oil poly.

Reply to
Doug

A little more information would be helpful.

  1. Was there any stain or dye used on the oak before the wb poly?

  1. Did the finish dry well originally then turn sticky? If so, how long before it turned sticky?

  2. If it never dried well, how long has it been since it was applied and what has the weather been like.

  1. What has been used to clean the table and how soon after the finish dried was the first cleaning done?

Roger

Reply to
Roger amd Missy Behnke

F'rinstance, did you use something oil or wax-based on it?

Reply to
George

-The table was stained with pigment gel stain first

-The poly was thinned and applied with a rag (6-7 coats)

-The finish dried fine

-The stickiness started about 8 weeks after use.

-The table has been cleaned with Murphy's oil soap, and nothing else.

Reply to
Doug

I would tend to think Murphy's law applies to the Murphy's Oil soap leaving a residue which is sticky, try cleaning the table with something which won't damage the poly but is a solvent.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Reply to