Starrett

The newspaper ad read:
Machinist Tools: Kennedy Roller Cabinet Starrett Mitutoya Brown & Sharp
The number was called, the location found.
Total out of pocket expense - $10
Total time elapsed - 2 hours
Found was an 18" Starrett combination square blade (I have extra heads for this very reason).
The Wall of Starrett is closer to being completed.
the head droops, the arm goes slack, the tourniquet drops to the floor as the mind is enveloped in a light haze of rust...
UA100
and another hour bragging about it and responding to congrats...
dave
Unisaw A100 wrote:

lest I start a flame war, let me add the :) now.
there. relax, Keeter
dave
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Davey wrote:

Only took a minute or few to *brag* about it Davey.
Though I did forget to mention the years of enjoyment my daughter will have with the Starretts when she inherits them.

So far no congrats. Did get one response from a guy with some pretty big sour grapes though. I mean, they were huge.
UA100
hell, those sour grapes aren't coming from me! I just had to say SOMETHING to get you to respond! You didn't weigh in on either of the two "plan" threads so I thought I'd draw you out of your shell in this one. How the hell are you? :)
dave
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

I thought they were kinda trollish and didn't quite feel up to the task.

Tired. We're five months into 56 hour weeks. So many projects, so little time.
UA100

But it will never be complete!
Hey Duke, I have a few of those thing also. Last summer I picked up a Starret Planer Gage for use in setting up the shaper.
The Plans are finished and construction starts in the spring of 2004.
--
Best of luck in your endeavors,

Gerald Masgai
Gerald Masgai wrote:
rubs eyes...
Gerald, that you?
So where the hell have you been all these live long days?
UA100

Yup, that's me. I've been working on the plans for a great big woodworking project. poke your browser over to the following URL's and have a peek. As you can see in the views from the South and East, I took your advice and incorporated an entrance to the basement directly from the great outdoors.
A view from the North:
http://home.pacbell.net/gmasgai/House.Plans/Renderings/North.jpg
A view from the East:
http://home.pacbell.net/gmasgai/House.Plans/Renderings/East.jpg
A view from the South:
http://home.pacbell.net/gmasgai/House.Plans/Renderings/South.jpg
A view from the West:
http://home.pacbell.net/gmasgai/House.Plans/Renderings/West.jpg
Drawing up those plans has sure been an education in the fine art of compromise.
Next week I will mill the pieces of the balustrade on the porches. Then, I have to order the stock for the doors and jambs. That should keep me busy until next spring, when I am going to load all the pieces of the project into a container for shipment to the construction site in early summer.
--
Best of luck in your endeavors,

Gerald Masgai
Gerald Masgai wrote:

I'm only $150,000 away from having a shop entrance from the garage. That figure also gets me lumber storage and a finish room and increases the present day 650sf shop/150sf wooddorking Leebrary to a more agreeable (to me) 1800-2000sf.
sigh...

Funny how sometimes you can understand things by working the concept through your head and other things you know onna 'count of you've been there, done that but didn't get to lick the bowl afterwards.

From where to where?
UA100
"Unisaw A100" wrote:

From Sunny Southern California to Eastern Washington State.
Nice catch. You suck. Yada, yada, yada... Your daughter ought to really enjoy these tools, as well as the memories of the hunt.
Considering the single minded persistance of the search for the entire Starrett catalogue at garage sale prices, I've always wondered just a little about the tenor of the prehunt moments in the Keeter household. When you find an ad that says:

are the preparations for the hunt refined and genteel like an English fox hunt. ...
Or do you get a maniacal gleem in you eyes, turn to your dimwitted rodent lackey and say, "Pinky, are you pondering what I am pondering?"
David
remove the key to email me.
J Pagona aka Y.B. wrote:

If we knit two bobby socks together we can make a diaper for a kangaroo?
J Pagona aka Y.B. wrote:

Now you understand why I didn't just go out and plunk down $50 on a brand new one? 'Sides, this one has a *user's mark*. Can't get that from Ann "Action Jackson" Rockler..

Once upon a time it involved the donning of the Carhartt shirt (a 10ish oz. cotton, color (colour David) green, catalog no. S09ASP) and a handful of Jolly Ranchers in the cup holder of the Jeep (top down dependent on the season). Check for glasses, the good ones for seeing close up, the MagLite (small one/fits in pocket). A quick visit to MapQuest to insure no additional time was spent wandering and then it was up and onward. These days the hunt is few and far between and more designed for results as time is fleeting.

There was once an imaginary friend I used to take with me named Billy (age 10). I was teaching him the ways. His imaginary parents had an imaginary restraining order issued against me so I guess there was a wee bit of Pinky going on.
OBWW: The Carhartt was bought at Highland Hardware. This was the visit when I met His Royness and he autographed my Galoot cap. That was the same day I met His Normness and the same day he autographed my Galoot cap.
UA100

"Yes, but how will we get all of the original tooling for the first Delta factory in the back of the Jeep?"

Just like everything else that's big. In pieces.
UA100
On 24 Aug 2003 22:39:06 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comkey (J Pagona aka Y.B.) Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:
snip

"Yes, but where can we get 10,000 feet of rope and a 55 gallon capacity blender"