Stair rail

I made a miss step and made rolled down the stairs. Physically nothing happens to me except a couple of mild bruises.

The stairs makes a right angle turn with the lower section open to the foyer. I took out two spindles at the bottom on the lower stairs.

In the fall I also pulled the rail on the outside of the landing (The stairs not mine) away from the wall. So now I have to fix it.

I believe the correct installation is to attach this upper rail to the wall with a 2X4 at the are of attachment, or at least a cross 2x4 between the studs.

This is a 5 year old home and instead of this up rail properly attached it is attached to the dry wall, with toggle bolts. Where the oak rail meets the wall There is about a 6" diameter oak pad.dd

My question: Rather that take out the dry wall and place the cross 2X4 and then properly attach the rail to it, would I get similar results by gluing the pad to the wall. (The original attachment screws are still in place just pulled from the wall.) I was think on using some thing Like Gorilla Glue.

Is this a good idea, or can some one suggest a solution with out tearing into the wall

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Don't glue. Take off the hand rail and attach a 3/4" thick, approx 4" wide board running the entire length of the handrail, on top of the drywall and attached to the studs. Then attach the handrail to the new board. Decorate and finish the board to match the stairs to make it look like it is part of the design.

Reply to
Swingman

Right! Drywall is just paper glued to chalk. Not much tensile strength. A strong mechanical connection to the studs is what you need. Follow the previous suggestion.

Reply to
scritch

Clearly a cross piece is the way to go. No the wall will not offer enough strength.

Reply to
woodchucker

Can you attach the hand rail brackets to the studs? I like the idea of the long running board that the railing can attach to also. It just adds more material to the wall. john

[...]

jloomis

OP This would be a simple problem it the builder had put is a stud where the stair rail hit he wall. Unfortunately he did not so now I have to resolve the problem. YES the correct way to go would be to cut out the wall install a 2x4 to connect the rail to.

This is not a season you want the house torn up.

Also unless I can get a exact match, it would mean repainting the stair well, the foyer, and the upper hall. I only have two weeks before Thanksgiving and we are having company.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 08:10:46 -0500, Keith Nuttle

Then you're right, it's not the time to tear anything up. Make your plans now how you're going to attack this problem and then go at it when the time is right.

Reply to
none

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message news:l5ql0n$kkr$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org

Learn to love contrast.