Staining doors with irregular patterns

We've got a project in which the doors that were placed will be stained. The doors have birch veneer and contain several dark areas (heart wood?). We would like to stain them and try to prevent such a sharp contrast. Can a sanding sealer be used to prevent or minimize the effects? Any other items that could be used?
Thanks,
Chris
Chris Nail wrote:

Sanding sealer really does "seal" and you'd be better of with Minwax's pre-stain treatment.
http://www.minwax.com/products/woodprep/prestain-faq.cfm
Josie
msstate snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Chris Nail) wrote in

Well, as is usual with these kinds of questions, it depends on what you really want to do.
There are a bunch of ways to color wood. I am expert in none of them.
Jeff Jewitt is, however. Here's a really good place to start: http://www.homesteadfinishing.com /
Sanding sealer may end up being part of the schedule, but maybe not.
Patriarch