Stain on hardwood table top

Hi
This is part of a longer saga but I will stick to the relevant facts.
Building coffee table in American Ash.
Top comes jointed but not cut from the timberyard.
Notice small stain which appears to go when sanded (the reason the wood was not returned is part of the saga).
When table treated with Boiled linseed oil stain returns with vengeance.
Have removed treatment scraped/sanded down as far as I dare but stain still evident.
Whole thing looks super except for stain.
I would be most grateful for any suggested cures?
Ted