Squirrel proof bird feeder

I won, but it took about 3 months of trial and error. I hung the feeder from approx 4 feet of greased wire. About halfway down, I had a 1.5 inch diameter wooden ball fixed. Freely pivoting on top of the ball, was a metal disk about 12 inches in diameter (rescued from an old light fitting in the dumpster) They never solved it, but it provided a lot of entertainment watching them.

See http://www.yankeeflipper.com
    I have found the ultimate bird feeder defense against squirrels. It cost me about $5 a pop and I use it once every two years for about 1 week.
    I go to the local nature center and rent a squirrel trap for $5 per week. I put it near the bird feeders. In about a weeks time I catch anyhwere from 2-5 squirrels. I relocate these to the local park where there is plenty of water ( a river runs nearby), trees and food. It usually brings the population of squirrels, around my house to a managable level. It usually takes about 2 years to get the population back up to the point where I need to repeat the process.
JAW
BJ wrote:

And if everyone did this, what do you think would happen to the population in the park? As it is, every animal is territorial, and you'd be upsetting nature's balance again.
You don't need to do that at all. We live in the county, and I have a solution that works all the time, and costs less than $5 if I do one for all my neighbours.
Take a piece of 6" diameter stovepipe tin [unbent], about 12" long. Use tinsnips [borrow to keep under $5 if you don't have any] to cut three tabs that will be bent over and drilled to accept screws. Bend the tin into the tube shape around the support pole if already there; it snaps into place. Use the tabs to fasten with screws to the base of the feeder.
You'll have fun you couldn't pay for watching the squirrel trying to get up the pole and past the tin to the feeder. Hint; A good strong steel pole to support the feeder also is better than a wooden one as a further deterrent. It must also obviously be far enough from trees and overhanging wires to avoid him jumping directly onto the top of the feeder.
Don't forget to feed the squirrels on the ground.
Bill.
Please, forget to feed the rats. They'll find plenty of food on their own.
--
--Chip
remove dots in prefix to fix email address
BJ wrote:

I accomplished the same by using a piece of 3/8 inch hardware cloth to cover the tray. It is hinged on the outside by two loose staples so it can be flipped up for cleaning the tray.
--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"

I use cheap Wal-Mart Tubular feeders, $3.95 I think. I use a rock and string, throw the rock with the string attached, across the highest limb I can reach, that will let the feeder hang away from other limbs.
use the string to pull Stainless Steel Aircraft Wire up and over the limb. Hang the feeder about 5-6 feet above the ground and your home free.
They won't or can't slide down the wire, cuts their little feetys, if they jump from another limb, nothing to hang onto. From the ground, its too hight for most. If they do grab hold of a peg, the feeder twists violently and they can't get a hold. Haven't seen a squirrel on one in 2 years. I do put a scoop of sunflower seeds on the ground daily for the doves and other ground birds, some squirrels show up and eat, but they don't attempt to use the feeders even if I forget to put some on the ground. When the ground seedf is gone, they are gone. I haven't had to replace a feeder in years.
Maybe this will work for some of you that live in the country as I do.
calmly ranted:

What about this guy? You don't want to piss him off too much. http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~shane/stasj/pics/humor/div/111.html (The other 500+ pics aren't bad, either.)
------------------------------------------- Crapsman tools are their own punishment http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================