square drive screws - extinct?

Page 2 of 2
kansascats wrote:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/flat-square-screws http://www.mcfeelys.com/stl-washer-hd-screws
http://www.mcfeelys.com/plated-steel-screws http://www.mcfeelys.com/stainless-screws
I really like their sawtooth screws. It will usually say in the description for each type, if it's sawtooth.
The tips has a notch cut in it which acts like a drill bit, and the first few grooves have sharp offset ridges that cut threads into the wood. It means you don't have to pre-drill in many hardwoods, and you get less splitting in all woods.
To me, that alone, makes them worth every penny.
--

-MIKE-

Define "all-purpose". ;-)

For exterior use I try my best to find stainless fasteners (not always possible). For interior it depends on my mood.

Stainless all the way.

McFeeley's is really good to deal with. I bought a couple of thousand yellow zink screws to fasten the subfloor down when we recarpeted my my previous house (didn't want squeaks when we sold it). I send an order off to them anytime I start a project and have an assortment of their stuff just in case.

I use these for interior work. http://www.mcfeelys.com/flat-square-screws
I have bought them at Ace Hardware during the past year. RVs' also use a lot of them so you might check a service department for their source.
RonB
Lowes changes brands at the drop of a hat...but they generally keep some version of square drive screws or possibly a "combo" drive...