spraying wall of doors inside a finished home

I have an entire exterior wall made from 8 panels - each panel is a wood frame of 2x6 wood with glass center. The panels are about 8'x3'. I normally use an HVLP unit to spray water borne dyes and Resisthane plu s lacquer. Since it is in the finished home, I tried using a foam brush to apply waterborne dye for color. The wood blotched badly. That panel will need to be stripped and bleached before going further.

Back in the shop I tried toning - putting the dye in the lacquer and app lying it with the foam brush again. It works, but not very satisfactorily. I first put on a cote of sanding sealer and then sanded it. After applying the toned lacquer I don't get a smooth finish and, as expected, the color is not very intense - even after 4 or 5 cotes.

Dyes and Resisthane are meant to be sprayed. So, my latest thought is to build a temporary 3 sided spray booth in the room and to butt the open sid e up against the panel to be spayed. I will cover the floor with a tarp. T he walls and top will be some thin plastic sheeting.

THE PROBLEM: I am using a Fuji 4 stage HVLP system. I intend to use very low air volume and a fine mist for delivery (hopefully it won't leave the booth.)I am a bit wary of how it will behave in the closed environment. If the turbine is outside the booth, I will be taking the air into the booth but it has no where to go after spraying except into the turbine filter. If I put the turbine in the closed booth with the spray gun, the amount of air into the turbine and out of the gun should be the same (if I remember m y thermodynamics correctly). Will it balance out or will the turbine blow out the walls.

Len

Reply to
Len

Use and exhaust fan with an attached duct similar to what the fire dept uses for smoke evac. Do not seal the area completely as you need to let the air come into your "booth" and out the exhaust.

Or you can buy a duct booster, hook up an extension cord to it, and hook up the booster to flex duct long enough to go outside. (within reasonable length)

Just an idea for you.

Reply to
OFWW