Spray lacquers

Hi, Could someone recommend some good brands of spraying lacquer. I need to finish about 10 interior Knotty Alder doors. I'm in California, but near Nevada and wouldn't mind driving over there if necessary in order to get something good. Thanks.

-Tony-

Reply to
Tony Jester

Is there some reason you prefer lacquer over a quick drying polyurethane like

asked that, I have used:
advertises it as a brushing lacquer but I have sprayed it many times with good results.

I mention these 2 products rather than something you might have to order. I've bought both at either Home Depot or Lowe's.

Max

Reply to
Max

I hadn't considered that you might be looking for a water based lacquer. I've had good results with this:

Max

If you are spraying, I've used both Behlen and McFadden's nitrocellulose lacquer with good success. I have a local supply for the Mcfad... but you can get it online from

or both at
Not sure if Woodcraft or Roclker carries such things. Used to be able to get various brands at Home Depot It has fallen out of favor mostly because it is high VOC and sort of outlawed in lots o' places but the instrument makers still prefer it. It is the same stuff even if they say "for stringed instruments".

You can probably still get th> Hi,

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Besides, for some reason, I've never been able to brush anything, it always looks terrible. I lack the skill and patience to brush. I have, however, been spray-painting since I was a kid. Cars, motorcycles, cabinetry, you name it. But it has been a LONG time since I have used any kind of lacquer product. I asked an old cabinetmaker friend of mine what I should use on these doors and he suggested lacquer. He hasn't used lacquer in a long time either, hence the question. I recently used Sherwin-Williams conversion varnish on the master bathroom vanity I built out of Paduak and I really liked the way that turned out, but I'm not sure I can afford to use it on all these doors (many are 8 footers). Any suggestions are much appreciated.

-Tony-

Reply to
Tony Jester

I usually use ML Campbell Nitrocellulose Lacquer. I pay ~ $50 for a five gallon tub. Pratt and Lambert paint stores often sell ML Campbell products.

I've also been impressed with Kwick-Kleen "Fast Dry Polyurethane", which sprays like lacquer, dries in 10 minutes, and is much more durable as an architectural finish. If the instructions are followed it burns in and provides a finished look that can't be distinguished from NC lacquer. Unfortunately, I have to mail order the KK product.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Whoa... Barry.... are you sure? $5 a gallon?

I'll try it on something if is that cheap. I'll bet I could iron out all the kinks for the price of a five. Is that a national price? (Remember MLC products are ALL special order for me).

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

No, $10/gal. ($50/5).

I bought it in spring, '07, he had it in stock. I do get a discount, I think MSRP was ~ $68-70 for a fiver.

In the same store, I'll pay ~ $29-30 for a gallon of paint he retails out at ~ $38. I buy almost all my supplies (strainers, empty cans, Purdy brushes and roller covers...), Seal Coat, Pratt & Lambert varnishes, Ultrastar, 9x11 3M sandpaper, solvents, locksets, and house paints from him, and the discount just appeared one day.

They get a kick how I show up on my bicycle, and can carry two gallons of finish or paint home in my messenger bag on my back! It's a 3000 cu/in bag, with a truck tarp liner:

Reply to
B A R R Y

I sure would give that quick drying polyurethane a consideration. It's easy to spray, dries quick and is more durable than lacquer. And it comes in "flat", "semi-gloss" , "satin" (my preference) and "gloss". It's readily available and the thinner is less volatile than lacquer thinner.

Max

Reply to
Max

Duh... well, I guess that's why I have my calculator handy most of the time!

That makes more sense to me. My "special order only from an authorized MLC dealer" guy here wants $33 a gallon, I have to buy a case (4 gallons) and while there is no shipping, I have to wait for 10 working days to 2 weeks to get it.

Nice bag! I was surprised when I saw it as it is larger than my "distance" hiking pack I bought several years ago.

I'll they get a kick out of you. Think of the average painter. Have you ever been to the store when you haven't seen a guy in paint covered whites and an overspray covered hat?

Until they got to know you, they probably thought you were picking up material for someone else!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I am, my wife. Her "choosiness" in color selection is legendary.

She can spend hours selecting just the right shade. I'll stop in for something like sandpaper or strainer cones, and I'm greeted with a funny smirk and "Your wife was here... She left with 250 chip cards... "

Guys like them are just one more reason I don't need Borgs!

Reply to
B A R R Y