spray foam insulation for shop pole building

Hope to start construction on a new 900 ft shop within the month. Will most likely be a pole building 30x30 and about 11' high walls. Want to not mess with insulation batts and their inherent gaps, sags, etc..

Therefore I am wondering if fellow wreck participants have some experience with sprayed foam application as an insulation. The distance between posts will be 10'. I plan to put CDX on the inside and not drywall if I can help it. This would be painted white and allow me to mount anything anywhere on the walls I felt like it. I might use some hangers to mount a 2x6 at two locations on the wall to give some middle support.

Thanks Alan

Reply to
arw01

Sprayed Iso-whatever insulation will work fine, but my experience is that it is more than a TAD pricey

Get a quote, then decide on what you can afford/want to spend on insulation

John

Reply to
john

Reply to
brian

My shop is part of my house which is all insulated with Icynene. Yep, it was more expensive than the pink stuff. However, my 15' x 25' shop is not heated or cooled. I heat it with a $30 oil-filled electric heater set on low during the winter and during the summer it stays comfortable when I open a window to let in the cool morning air then close them for the afternoon.

The unheated garage next to it is insulated as well. I would use this stuff again in an instant. My heating and cooling bills on the house may be half those of my neighbors who all have the pink stuff.

If you plan to heat and cool your shop most sprayed-in foam insulations should mean you can use smaller heating and/or cooling units and it will still be a lot more comfortable to work in the shop.

Reply to
PCProffitt

How did you handle the roof of your shop?

Current plan is to use radiant in the floor, leave the ceiling open and spraf foam the bottom of the roof. My wife would like composition, metal attracts me because it is a bit less, lasts a LONG time, and likely is not an issue for foam contact like the heat retention of composition would be.

Reply to
arw01

The ceiling of my shop is uninsulated drywall. The underside of all the roof decks were sprayed with Icynene. This way you can actually use the attic space because the temperature in the attic only gets somewhat warmer or cooler than the actually heated and cooled interior space. The attic isn't actively heated or cooled.

Other than shop dust collecting on the uneven foam sprayed on the underside of the roof deck the open ceiling would seem to be no problem. Just make sure when they spray the foam that the eave where the roof meets the wall gets sprayed and sealed. With an open ceiling this would not be such a tight space, but usually extra work is required at the eaves to seal any large gaps before spraying. Depends on the spray foam installer and the construction.

Reply to
PCProffitt

Waiting for a ballpark quote. It looks like $0.65 to $0.85 per bdft of foam. So about $1,000 per inch of foam on just the walls.

Not sure this is economical. I inquired with the SIP plant to see if they know of a contractor in my area. Since SIPS with shipping and 6" of foam between two 3/8 CDX panels at 10' x 4' wide are less tahn $6,000 shipped. This price on spray foam seems REALLY high..

Alan

Reply to
arw01

Spam much?

Reply to
Locutus

I would never do a metal roof in a area where you have snow. I did that on my first pole building and could not keep gutters on the building and when it warmed up the snow came of in a avalanch and froze in front of the doors by the time I came home in the evening.

The second pole building and workshop, 24 X 36, I used storage trusses that gave me a upstairs storage area and I sheated the ceiling with OSB and purchased the blow in insulation from Lowes and they gave use of the blower free. I used a fold up stairway and very happy with the whole setup. The spray foam on the metal should work fine on the walls for you.

Bill

Reply to
BT98

Interesting. I know people that will only have a metal roof because of the ability to shed snow. They are very popular in a lot of northern areas.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski