Splitting Wood

My dad used to have these iron chisels, about 3" in diameter at the top, coming down to about12" long. Wedges, I think they were called. Does anyone have any idea of where I could find some of these today? I am a woman woodworker, mainly toys, small tables, crafts, etc. But I do like to use old weathered wood for my birdhouses, signs, etc. I just have some logs to split up also. Help anyone?
Tootie P.
Tootie Preston wrote:

Would either of these be useful?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pA142&cat=1,41131 http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p 116&cat=1,41131
You can probably find less fancy versions of the splitting wedge at local stores.
Chris
Try Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, TSC or your local Farm Supply store for standard splitting wedges. I picked up a set at Wal-Mart for about $5 each ( you will need at least 2). You will also need a sledge hammer or maul to drive then with. They are used mainly to split fire wood and are not precision tools by any stretch of the imagination. They are not easy tools to use for most people and some woods are very hard to split with them even for an experienced man in good shape. There are electric, hydraulic and air powered units that are much easier to use but are costly ($300 and up to a few thousand$). You might want to look at a froe if you are wanting to make thin boards instead of a wedge, much easer to use and much more precision tool. It will probably give you the results you want with a lot less labor.

Tootie Preston wrote:

Like the man said, you probably want a froe, not a wedge. It's easier to make shingles, which it sounds like is what you're after.
er
--
email not valid

Tootie Preston wrote:

Probably most any farm supply store will have Tractor Supply Co, Farm & Fleet, Fleet & Farm, etc.
Northern Tool & Equipment lists three sizes in their catalog from $5.99 to $7.99 - Forged Steel Log Splitting Wedges
http://www.northerntool.com